Access, Diversity and Inclusion
Access, Diversity and Inclusion portfolio builds, supports and enhances the
leadership capacity of ADEA individual and institutional members around issues
of diversity and inclusion.
ADI priorities include:
- Educational access and health care advocacy for diverse and underserved communities
- Access, diversity, and inclusion goals that are compatible to broad institutional mission
- Robust, diverse learning environments
- Holistic admissions practices
- A broader diversity agenda that goes beyond race/ethnicity
- Strong strategic messaging in the higher education "space," through diversity recruitment, and cultural competency
Previously, under the leadership of Jeanne C. Sinkford, D.D.S., Ph.D., FACD, the ADEA Center for Equity and Diversity (CED) was established in 1998. Since its inception, the Center developed a strong infrastructure to accomplish many diversity goals, which included receiving grants totaling more than $22 million; establishing strong collaborations with associations and organizations; and providing extensive support to programs, conferences, and research to increase diversity in dental education. The portfolio's activities are informed and guided by the Diversity and Inclusion Advisory Committee.