Strategic Directions 2019–22
A well-prepared and diverse oral health workforce is improving the health of all individuals and communities.
To lead and support the health professions community in preparing future-ready oral health professionals.
- Provide leadership on issues impacting dental education and the health of the public.
- Develop and sustain an inclusive environment in which faculty, students and administrators work together to create the future of dental education in an increasingly diverse and interconnected world.
- Assist member institutions with successfully navigating the rapidly changing environment for dental and health professions education.
- Drive innovation and advance excellence in learning and discovery to prepare graduates to be competent practitioners and lifelong learners.
We recognize that to achieve our mission and strategic goals, ADEA must continue to invest in the people, systems and infrastructure needed to provide exceptional member value.
In support of our strategic goals we will continue to:
- Increase member engagement and connectedness across the dental education community;
- Demonstrate the member value of ADEA’s programs, resources and initiatives; and
- Invest in the people, systems and infrastructure needed to deliver innovative programs, support data-driven management, and provide outstanding member service.
View the 2019-22 ADEA Strategic Directions and Key Priorities
Strategic Goals and Objectives
Provide leadership on issues impacting dental education and the health of the public.
- Serve as the authority on the education of the dental, allied dental and advanced dental workforce.
- Advocate for the mission and goals of dental education.
- Promote academic dental institutions as key contributors to increasing access to dental care and improving the oral and overall health of their communities.
- Serve as a collaborative partner in the global effort to improve health.
Develop and sustain an inclusive environment in which faculty, students and administrators work together to create the future of dental education in an increasingly diverse and interconnected world.
- Advance access, diversity, inclusion, equity and well-being as priorities in dental education and the improvement of oral and overall health.
- Build a diverse and robust applicant pipeline for the future of the dental professions.
- Support efforts to recruit, develop and retain faculty who serve as educators and role models within their institutions and across the dental education community.
- Provide leadership development opportunities that prepare members for the future of dental education and support academic career advancement.
Assist member institutions with successfully navigating the rapidly changing environment for dental and health professions education.
- Prepare the dental education community to respond effectively to disruptive changes impacting health care and higher education.
- Provide information, data and analysis to support informed decision-making by member institutions.
- Promote strategies to enhance financial sustainability and increase the affordability of dental education.
- Share effective practices and promising approaches for the use of technology to advance learning and clinical care.
Drive innovation and advance excellence in learning and discovery to prepare graduates to be competent practitioners and lifelong learners.
- Provide leadership and resources to support intraprofessional dental education and team-based
- Provide leadership and resources to support the dental professions’ participation in interprofessional education and collaborative practice.
- Provide faculty development programming that prepares dental educators to effectively use innovative approaches to teaching, learning and assessment that lead to academic success.
- Advance research and scholarship as the foundation of dental education and of the science and practice of oral health care.
Mission: The ultimate purpose of the organization’s work. It is the primary lens through which major decisions are made.
Strategic Directions: The central areas that the organization will focus on to achieve its mission. The Strategic Directions are typically aspirational, and usually last throughout the full term of the strategic plan without change.
Key Priorities: The desired end-results to be achieved in the plan. By focusing on the Key Priorities, ADEA will advance its Strategic Directions.