Research shows that a diverse faculty:
- Improves student learning outcomes,
- Are more likely to integrate a variety of pedagogy and multicultural scholarship into the classroom,
- Have more frequent contact with their students,
- Show greater interest in expanding their research and scholarship to incorporate issues related to historically underrepresented marginalized groups,
- Utilize methods that foster higher order thinking skills and
- Serve as important role models for all students.
Continuing changes to demographics in the United States and Canada will mean increases in students who are immigrants, visible minorities and historically underrepresented racial and ethnic groups. As a result, students will expect to see and engage with faculty who are diverse and look like them.