5 Questions With ... Ms. Janika James
Ms. Janika James
Third-year dental student
Meharry Medical College School of Dentistry
1. What’s the biggest challenge facing dental education today?
I feel that one of the biggest challenges facing dental education today is the rising cost of attendance. It can put added pressure on students as they try navigating through school, especially in cities with higher costs of living.
2. Tell us about one of your “big wins” recently?
I received three academic scholarships from my school this year! I lost my father in the spring of my second year and seeing that I made the Dean’s List gave me the motivation to finish even stronger!
3. What’s the best career advice you ever received?
“Plan your work and work your plan.”
4. What’s your favorite vacation spot—and why?
Belize has been my favorite vacation spot so far! The water is so blue and it’s so tranquil.
5. What skill or talent would you most like to develop?
I would love to learn how to play the acoustic guitar. I played violin for eight years until my senior year of high school and I would love to pick up a new instrument.