5 Questions With … Dr. Lea Hachem
Lea Hachem, D.D.S., M.S.
Diplomate, American Board of Periodontology
Associate Professor and Predoctoral Program Director
Department of Periodontics
UT Health San Antonio School of Dentistry
1. What gives you the most satisfaction professionally?
Overall, the impact I have on others as an educator and a periodontist gives me the most satisfaction. As an educator the most rewarding part of my job is playing a role in students’ growth during their dental education and witnessing their successes. As a practitioner, I mostly appreciate patient gratification, restoring smiles and saving teeth.
2. In 10 years, the biggest change about dental education (or dentistry) will be …
Technology. The world of dentistry is everchanging and evolving very fast. I do anticipate a widespread increase of technology use and digital dentistry both in dental education and dentistry.
3. What’s your philosophy in 10 words or less?
“To move the world, we must first move ourselves.” – Socrates.
4. What’s something you think you’ll never understand?
Hate. Unfortunately, despite all the advancement of the human race, we still see hate, violence and inequalities. I do not understand why someone would intentionally choose to hurt others.
5. What skill or talent would you most like to develop?
I would love to learn how to fly a plane!