Learning Perspective III: Awareness of World Activities
Each presenter provided her story of how she has used her strengths to overcome new challenges and make an impact. They described the challenges and opportunities that are unique to their situation or country. Key themes that emerged during the session:
- Family / life balance had a profound impact on their careers.
- Many of the presenters actively sought administrative roles even while encountering resistance.
- The opportunity to conduct research and support women in research was important.
- Many had to negotiate inequities of service expectations when compared to men.
- Women need to be involved in policy formation to support equity.
- In lieu of a mentor, remind yourself of your accomplishments, know your inner compass and draw on strength from family.
- Have the courage to push against the norms.
Cathia Bergeron, D.M.D., M.S., Dean, Université Laval Faculté de Médicine Dentaire
Impact of Oral Health in Saudi Arabia
Ebtissam Al-Madi, B.D.S., M.S.D., FACD, Associate Professor, College of Dentistry, King Saud University
Impact of Innovation
Maria-Pau Ginebra Molins, Ph.D., Professor, Universitat Politècnica de Catalunya
Impact of Oral Health Globally
Yolande Koffi Gnagne, D.D.S., Associate Professor and Dean, Abidjan School of Dentistry and Stomatology
Impact of Organizations for Science
Rena D’Souza, D.D.S., M.S., Ph.D., Professor, University of Utah School of Dentistry
Impact on Patient Care: Interprofessional Education
Sandra C. Andrieu, Ph.D., Associate Dean, Louisiana State University Health New Orleans School of Dentistry
Impact on Health Care Teams
Lisa A. Tedesco, Ph.D., Vice Provost for Academic Affairs and Dean, Emory University
Lily Garcia, D.D.S., M.S., FACP, Chair, ADEA IWLC VI Planning Committee