International students

International students coming to the United States to attend dental school should always check with the school financial aid office (FAO) regarding financial aid opportunities. While you must be a U.S. citizen or permanent resident to qualify for federal financial aid, there may be other opportunities for financial assistance.

Check out eduPASS for information on financial aid for international students, including scholarships, loans, helpful organizations and the process for applying for aid as an international student.

Loans for International Students 

You may be eligible for a private loan for dental school, though you can expect your lender to require a creditworthy cosigner who is a U.S. citizen or permanent resident. Be sure to ask about the terms and conditions of any private loan you are considering applying for, including interest rates and capitalization, repayment terms and repayment options, and postponement options, especially if you think you might consider an advanced dental education program after dental school.

Scholarships for International Students 

Your school may designate funds for international students, including DACA (Deferred Action for Childhood Arrivals), so check with your school’s FAO. These scholarships may be based on merit or academic interest. In addition, the cultural department or education minister’s office at your embassy may be able to offer assistance.