Academic History


You will be asked to submit information about your education, including: 

  • Secondary (high) school: The name of your high school, its location and your graduation date.
  • Postsecondary school: The name and location of the college(s) you attended, your dates of attendance and graduation and the type of degree you earned or are in the process of earning. You will need to submit all official U.S. and Canadian transcripts. 


Other information about this part of the ADEA AADSAS application is given in more detail below.

Provide the name, location, dates of attendance and graduation, and type of degree earned or in-progress. Send in all official U.S. and Canadian Transcripts. Applicants should enter each school attended only once. 

Applicants are required to report all postsecondary institutions attended, including but not limited to: Courses taken in high school; summer courses; community college courses; military institutions; postbaccalaureate, graduate and doctoral work; study abroad and foreign work. Report each institution once, regardless of the number of degrees earned or gaps in the dates of attendance.

When adding a college, type the beginning of the name in the box so that several options display. If the name is not immediately available, try different spellings or punctuation (i.e. Saint James or St. James). If the name is still not available, check with the institution to see if it has had a name change. If all options have been exhausted and it does not appear, select “Non-Listed” from the list. 

Add the degree type earned or in-progress. Multiple degrees may be added by selecting “Add Another Degree.” Enter the in-progress or most recent degree first. Include the degree type, the date earned or expected graduation, and the major and minor.

Add the term system used (semester, quarter or trimester). Transcripts specify the term type on the back of the page; term type refers to the type of hours the credits are worth. 

Add the dates of first attendance and the final term, unless the coursework is still in-progress. When all of the required information has been completed, click “Save this College” to complete this section. When complete, a Transcript Request Form will be generated.

Repeat all the steps for each institution attended. Applicants are required to report every U.S. and Canadian postsecondary institution from which credit has been received, regardless of whether or not the work is relevant to the pursuit of a dental education. This includes but is not limited to: Schools which granted credit while the applicant was a high school student; schools whose credits transferred to a primary university; doctorate classes, summer classes, community college classes or technical/vocational classes; military; massage and/or alternative medicine classes, etc. If the applicant attended schools within a college consortium, each school must be reported separately. 

Study Abroad and Overseas U.S. Institutions 

1. If coursework was completed at a U.S. institution overseas (i.e. American University Beirut or Carnegie Mellon University in Qatar), report the institution from the dropdown list and proceed to enter in all related information, including coursework in the Transcript Entry section. In Transcript Review, mark the courses as study abroad.

2. If coursework was completed using another school’s program to study abroad, i.e. Semester at Sea (University of Virginia), SIT, or a CEA Global Campus Network (University of New Haven), report the U.S. school whose program was used and proceed to enter in all related information, including coursework in the Transcript Entry section. In Transcript Review, mark the courses as study abroad.

3. If coursework was completed via a study abroad company such as IES, ISA, CIEE, or DIS, directly via the undergraduate institution, or by any other method proceed with the options below:

  • If your FULL CREDITS AND GRADES for these courses appear on your undergraduate transcript, then you should list these courses normally with the rest of your undergraduate work. During the transcript review process, you would mark these courses as “Study Abroad.” No additional documentation is necessary. Do NOT report your study abroad school as a foreign institution. Acceptable grades include A-F, Credit, Pass, etc. “TR” for “transfer” is NOT an acceptable grade, nor are credits and grades which do not match those on the rest of your undergrad transcript (i.e. the grades are not U.S. grades). If your courses have grades of TR, or are recorded in foreign grades, please use the second option below.
  • If your CREDITS AND/OR GRADES for these courses DO NOT APPEAR on your undergraduate transcript, you should report that you attended a foreign institution. You do not need to list your courses under the foreign school, as ADEA AADSAS does not allow foreign coursework to be recorded. DO NOT SEND ANY DOCUMENTATION UNLESS AN EVALUATION IS REQUIRED BY YOUR DENTAL SCHOOL. Please check with your Dental School to determine if they will require a foreign evaluation.

U.S. and Canadian Transcripts

All U.S. and Canadian transcripts are required to be sent to ADEA AADSAS. The application cannot be processed without official transcripts sent directly to:

ADEA AADSAS Transcript Processing Department 
P.O. Box 9110 
Watertown, MA 02471


Only original, official transcripts will be accepted. To send a transcript:

1. List all schools in “Colleges Attended.”

2. Download the “Transcript Request Form” for each college and provide it to the college registrar who will, in turn, attach to the official transcript. While transcripts can be sent directly to ADEA AADSAS from the college registrar without the Transcript Request Form, asking the registrar to submit with a personalized Transcript Request Form will expedite the process. If sent in without the form, request that the ADEA AADSAS identification number is included somewhere on the transcript or accompanying document.

3. Request all transcripts from all U.S. and English speaking Canadian colleges attended to be sent to ADEA AADSAS.

4. Monitor the application to ensure the transcript is received. It is the applicant’s responsibility to monitor their application for transcript receipt, even after the application is submitted. ADEA AADSAS will not notify applicants concerning missing transcripts.  If it has been longer than 10 business days since the transcript was mailed and it has not been posted, the materials should be resubmitted. The status of all transcripts can be viewed in the “Check Status” tab at the top of the application home screen. 

Sending Transcripts Electronically

ADEA AADSAS only accepts transcripts electronically from the Credentials Solutions and Parchment electronic transcript services. If your school does not use these services, you must provide your transcripts to ADEA AADSAS via paper mail. 

Credential Solutions:

Use this link to see if your school offers the Credentials Solution Service. 

If your school does participate, please follow this link for instructions on how to proceed. 


Use this link to see if your school offers the Parchment Service. 

If your school does participate, please follow this link for instructions on how to proceed. 

Turnaround Times:

Once your transcript has been requested electronically, it will take 7-10 business days to post to your application. Utilizing electronic services will not expedite the processing of transcripts. If you do not see your transcript posted to your application within the allotted 10 business days after it was requested, please contact the electronic service directly to confirm the order was completed.

Provide course specific information for each post-secondary class taken 

By entering coursework into the ADEA AADSAS application, the electronic transcript format and content is standardized so that dental schools may compare course subjects, credit values, and grade values on a level field for all applicants who are seeking admission.

Preparing for Transcript Entry

  1. Obtain an official copy of each college level transcript. It is highly recommended that applicants acquire a new copy of the official transcript to ensure the coursework entered matches the official transcript.
  2. Complete the “Colleges Attended” section.
  3. Decide whether or not to take advantage of the Professional Transcript Entry.

    All applicants must enter in coursework. It can be done by the applicant or Liaison International, ADEA’s technology partner. By selecting “Professional Transcript Entry,” the applicant relies on Liaison to enter and verify all coursework. This process will begin as soon as all official transcripts are received and can take up to ten business days to complete.  The application will then be placed into a verification queue which can take an additional four weeks. The service is $65 for 1-3 transcripts, $90 for 4-6 transcripts, and $140 for 7 or more transcripts. 

Applicants who choose to enter in their own coursework should allot at least half a day to enter and review coursework to prevent errors. Errors will delay the verification the application.


Entering Coursework

  1. Add a term for the first institution. 

    Term choices are Fall, Winter, Spring, Summer or Interim. Academic status choices are Freshman, Sophomore, Junior, Senior, Graduate and Postbaccalaureate. 

    FRESHMAN-SENIOR: All college-level courses taken prior to graduation from the bachelor’s degree. ADEA AADSAS does not monitor credit levels in regards to freshman-senior designations. In general, four-year students list one year per designation and five-year students list their last two years as senior. Non-traditional students label their terms as evenly as possible, but should remain in chronological order (i.e. do not report yourself as a junior in 1999 and as a freshman in 2000).

    POSTBACCALAUREATE: Undergraduate level courses taken after the first bachelor’s degree is earned. If a second bachelor’s degree is earned, the entire second degree would be considered “postbaccalaureate.  

    GRADUATE: Master’s degree and doctorate degree-level work only. Applicants do not need to have earned the degree in order for the work to be graduate degree level. Work taken in pursuit of a Ph.D., M.D., Pharm.D., J.D. and JurisD are all considered doctorate degree-level.

  2. Add all courses for the new term.

    Use a recent copy of the transcript to enter in the course code, course title, subject, credits and grade. 

    Transcript example



Course Code: List the department prefix and number of the course, which will look something like this: “BIOL 101” and cannot be shortened or altered. Some schools have a numeric department prefix instead of a letter one, so instead of “BIOL 101,” enter “367 101.”

Course Title: The title of the course, just as it appears on the transcript, which will say something like: “Anatomy and Physiology I.” The course title may be abbreviated if it does not fit into the space provided and it is clear that it corresponds with the title listed on the transcript, i.e. “Anat and Phys I.” 

Subject: For a list of all ADEA AADSAS Course Subjects, click here.

  • Semester, Trimester or Quarter Credits: If your course credits are mostly “3.0,” “4.0,” or “5.0,” the transcript is listing either semester, trimester, or quarter credits and NO conversion is necessary. List the credits as they appear on the transcript.
  • Unit Credits: If all of the course credits are listed as “1.0″ or 0.50,″ the transcript is listing credit units and a credit conversion is required. Check the back of the transcript and search for a conversion ratio, which will say something like “1 unit is equivalent to 4 semester hours.” If there is no conversion on the back of the transcript, contact the registrar’s office to determine the conversion ratio. Once conversion ratio is determined, convert the credits by multiplying the number of units listed on the transcript by the conversion factor. For example, if the conversion is 1 unit = 4 hours and the transcript lists 1 unit for a course, enter in 4.00 credits. If 0.50 is listed, enter in 2.00.

ADEA AADSAS Grade: Enter the grade exactly as it appears on the official transcript. Once a grade is entered, ADEA AADSAS automatically converts it to the equivalent in for ADEA AADSAS. This section allows ADEA AADSAS to standardize transcripts for the dental schools and this box cannot be edited. The charts which detail how grade conversions work can be viewed by clicking here. Please note that there are different conversions for numeric grades depending on attendance at a U.S. or Canadian institution.

3. Repeat 1 and 2 for all terms and courses at an institution.

4. Once all courses have been entered, a blue button will appear on the Transcript Entry page which says “Review and Finalize My Transcripts.” This process will allow applicants to designate specific courses study abroad, repeat, advanced placement, etc.

5. Repeat steps 1, 2 and 3 with each institution listed.


Transcript Review

  • To Use Paid Transcript Entry

    Report ALL Colleges Attended. You are required to report all institutions attended, including but not limited to: courses taken in high school, summer courses, community college courses, military institutions, post-baccalaureate, graduate, and doctoral work, study abroad, foreign work, etc.  Failure to report an institution runs the risk of your application being undelivered back to you by our verification staff. For detailed information, please see the “Colleges Attended” section of our instructions.
  • Complete any coursework ineligible for professional entry.
    ADEA AADSAS can NOT enter not-listed U.S. schools, planned/in-progress, or foreign coursework. These MUST be entered BEFORE you sign up for the professional entry service. If you do NOT enter your planned/in-progress work prior to paying for the professional entry service, you WILL be locked out from entering this work yourself after making your payment. If you neglect to enter your planned/in-progress work prior to paying for PTE, you will have to wait until after verification and add this into your application.

  • Select the Professional Transcript Entry option.
     Click “Tell Me More” on the coursework page to be taken to the professional entry page, and select YES at the bottom of the screen. You will then be asked to select which schools you would like to pay for coursework entry for.

  • Make Your Payment.
    Review and agree to the Transcript Entry Service Agreement and make your coursework entry fee payment. After making your payment, you may ADD additional schools to the service until you submit your application. Once your application has been submitted, you may not add any additional schools to the coursework entry service. Payments must be made online via credit card ONLY. Payments may not be sent via mail. As per the Transcript Entry Service Agreement you submit with your payment, the professional transcript entry fee is nonrefundable. These funds cannot be refunded at any time for any reason once payment has been made.

  • Request Transcripts be Sent to ADEA AADSAS
    ADEA AADSAS must receive all required transcripts before coursework entry can begin. Please review the “U.S. and Canadian Transcripts” section of our instructions for details on how to properly provide ADEA AADSAS with your transcripts. Monitor your application to ensure you transcripts are received. On average, it takes 7-10 business days for your transcript to post to your ADEA AADSAS application from the date it is mailed by your school. Once your transcripts post, you will receive a confirmation email and you can view your transcript receipt dates on your application under the “check status” tab.
  • Submit and COMPLETE Your Application
    Before professional transcript entry can begin, you must have a submitted, paid application with all transcripts posted and at least two letters of recommendation completed. Please note that the pre-req sections of programs materials will be DEACTIVATED until your coursework has been entered for you, so you may submit without entering pre-requisite information.

  • Professional Transcript Entry Begins
    Once the criteria above have been met, your application will be placed in line for professional transcript entry. The service will begin work on your application within 10 business days. Applications have their coursework entered on a first come, first served basis by completion.

  • Review Your Coursework, Enter Pre-Requisites, and Submit Your Approval
    Once your transcript entry is complete, you will receive a notification. It is your responsibility to review the coursework entered by our staff for accuracy and approve the entry. If you find any issues with your coursework entry, please submit this issues in writing to our email address: Wait for corrections to be approved and made before approving your coursework entry. You should also report any required prerequisite courses in the Program Materials section before approving your coursework entry. Once you have approved your coursework entry, your application will be given a Complete Date and placed in line for normal verification.


IMPORTANT: Your application will be placed in line with the date you APPROVED your coursework entry, which will be your COMPLETE DATE. Make sure you approve your coursework entry in a timely fashion to avoid delays in processing

  • Primary College: The “Primary College” is the school at which the applicant earned his/her Bachelor’s Degree. Designate the primary college by clicking the circle next to the institution at which the Bachelor’s Degree was earned. 
  • Repeated Classes: Courses retaken at the same school for a higher grade are considered “Repeated.” Withdrawn courses, courses taken at different schools or courses taken repeatedly but not retaken for a better grade (i.e. school band, gym courses, etc.) are NOT considered repeated. If you have repeated a course, select “Yes,” and then check off the final attempt at the class to mark it as “Repeated.” 
    ADEA AADSAS is required to factor ALL attempts at courses into the GPA calculation, regardless of a school or state's academic forgiveness policies. Making a course as "repeated" will NOT exclude it from your GPO calculation. 
  • Advanced Placement: Credits granted by a college or university for a performance on the College Board Advanced Placement Exam are considered “Advanced Placement.”
  • Other Test Credit: If the applicant has other test credits including International Baccalaureate (IB), CLEP, DANTE, REGENTS, or Institutional/Departmental exams (courses a person “tested out of” at the college), click “yes” and select them here.
  • Honors Courses: A college course taken at an honors level is considered “Honors.” These are usually designated on a transcript by an “H” in the course number. Please note that earning Latin honors upon graduation does not mean courses are retroactively considered “Honors.”
  • Study Abroad: If courses were taken as part of a study abroad program, mark them as Study Abroad here. Please double check the “Study Abroad and Overseas U.S. Institutions” section of the instructions to ensure these are reported correctly. PLEASE 
  • NOTE: study abroad work listed in any way other than as a foreign school WILL factor into the GPA. 

    ADEA AADSAS allows each dental school to request applicants to identify prerequisite coursework. Once the “Colleges Attended” and “Transcript Entry” sections are complete, go to “Program Materials” to identify prerequisite coursework for each dental school.


Provide the date(s) of all taken or planned American Dental Association Dental Admissions Test (DAT) administrations as well as the DENTPIN.

The DAT, which measures academic ability, scientific understanding and perceptual ability, is:

−          In English,

−          Multiple choice,

−          Computer-based,

−          $445 each time you take it,

−          Given most days of the year,

−          Required by all U.S. dental schools,

−          Over four hours in length, and 

−          Taken at specified testing centers throughout the country.

ADEA AADSAS requires applicants who have taken it to provide U.S. DAT scores in two ways: manually entering in score information in the application and sending official score reports from the ADA. ADEA AADSAS applicants who have taken the Canadian DAT can manually enter in the score information in the application.

  1. Self-Reported U.S. DAT Scores

    Applicants will be asked if they have already taken the test. If yes, reporting a date is required and all scores are optional. Applicants should use their unofficial score report. Upon completion of the test, an unofficial score report at the Prometric Test Center will be made available to the applicant. In the unofficial score report, scale scores are reported. All scores entered as completed cannot be edited after the application is submitted. 

  2. Official U.S. DAT Scores

    When registering for the U.S. DAT, applicants can select any number of schools to receive the DAT score at no additional cost. It is strongly encouraged that an applicant selects all dental schools s/he plans on applying to, as the dental school can also access official score through an online portal outside of ADEA AADSAS. The test fee remains the same regardless of how many schools are selected at this time. There is an additional fee if schools are added at a later time.

    If any U.S. dental school is selected, the official score will be sent electronically to ADEA AADSAS 3–4 weeks after the test date and be matched to the application based on the name, birthdate and DENTPIN of the applicant. Because ADEA AADSAS is a centralized application, the official score will be shared with all dental schools the applicant applies to, even if a school was not selected by the applicant at the test administration site.  

    Self-Reported Canadian DAT

    Applicants will be asked if they have already taken the test. If yes, reporting a date is required and all scores are optional. Applicants should use their unofficial score report.

    Other Tests

    ADEA AADSAS does not collect other official or unofficial test scores

    When should I send my transcript?
    Aside from creating an account on ADEA AADSAS, this should be the first item on every applicant’s checklist. Due to mailing and processing times, transcript verification can take up to six weeks. Start the process early. Because applicants are encouraged to apply early, it is best to request the transcript in early June.

    What are the top three things I should do to ensure I successfully match my transcripts to my ADEA AADSAS application?

    1. List the institution in the “Colleges Attended” section.
    2. Make sure your ADEA AADSAS identification number is included on or with each transcript.
    3. Send in ALL transcripts EARLY.

    Can I send in an unofficial copy of my transcript?

    No. Don’t send an unofficial copy or a copy that is marked “Student-issued.” 

    Can I submit my application before my transcripts are received by ADEA AADSAS?
    Yes. Once you have successfully filled out your application, you can submit it to ADEA AADSAS at any time. However, your application will not be processed until ADEA AADSAS has received all of your official transcripts and your payment.

    How long will it take before I see that my transcript list as received in the Check Status tab of my application?

    Transcript processing takes 7-10 business days since the data it arrived at ADEA AADSAS. 

    Can I print one transcript-matching form and send it to all the colleges I attended?
    No. Each institution you have attended has a unique transcript-matching form which you are to use specifically for that institution. When mailing the transcript-matching forms, pay attention to the name of the institution printed on each form. Transcripts sent without the appropriate transcript request form may result in delay of your application.

    If I have attended multiple colleges and transfer credit is listed on the transcript of my primary institution, do I still need to send a transcript from each school?
    Yes. You are required to send ONE transcript from each college you have attended regardless of the number of courses taken.

    Should I send my high school transcript?
    No. To report university-level credit earned while a high school student, these courses must be reported under the college or university that awarded you the credit. This includes both Advanced Placement and dual-enrollment credit.

    Do I need to send transcripts for planned or in-progress coursework?
    No. You are only required to send transcripts covering all of your completed coursework. ADEA AADSAS does not require transcripts for coursework labeled as “planned/in-progress” until after all grades have been completed. Please note that when you do complete these courses, updated transcripts can be submitted directly to the schools to which you are applying, or you can use the Academic Update period to update this information in your ADEA AADSAS application.

    Do I also need to send copies of my transcripts to the dental schools I am applying to?
    In general, you only need to submit transcripts to ADEA AADSAS. Some dental schools, if you reach a certain point in the admissions process, may request additional transcripts at a later date while others will not. You should contact the schools directly to determine if they require any additional transcripts.

    I have a different name on my transcript than on my application. Will that cause a problem?
    This can delay the processing of your transcript, but there are steps you should take to minimize any difficulties. FIRST, fill out the Biographic Information section to include other aliases. SECOND, ask your registrar’s office to physically write your current name and ADEA AADSAS identification number on your transcript. FINALLY, include the transcript request form with your transcript. If you have done step one, your former name will print out on this form.

    My school won’t issue a transcript to ADEA AADSAS and must use my name. What do I do?
    ADEA AADSAS can accept transcripts issued to an applicant’s name and address as long as they are accompanied by a letter from the school’s registrar’s office stating their policy for addressing transcripts and confirming that the transcript was mailed by the registrar to ADEA AADSAS directly. The transcript still cannot have an “Issued to Student” or “Student Copy” stamp and may not be picked up by the student. Transcripts without this letter will not be accepted.

    Can my designated programs view the transcripts I send to ADEA AADSAS?
    Yes. The transcripts that you are required to send to ADEA AADSAS are visible electronically to your designated program(s). Please note that upon a program’s request, you may still be asked to send an official transcript directly to the school.

    Can ADEA AADSAS forward my transcripts to me, my schools or schools not affiliated with ADEA AADSAS?
    No. As per the Family Educational Rights and Privacy Act of 1974 (FERPA), ADEA AADSAS may not release transcripts to anyone other than your designated schools, including other schools or the applicant themselves.

    My college/university can send my transcript electronically. Will ADEA AADSAS accept it?
    ADEA AADSAS only accepts transcripts electronically from the Credential Solutions, Parchment, and National Student Clearinghouse electronic transcript services. Look for your school in the list of participating institutions.  If your school participates, you can order your transcripts online.

    ADEA AADSAS will accept transcripts sent electronically from Parchment. Check to see if your school offers the Credential Solutions. 

    National Student Clearinghouse:
    Starting with the 2019 ADEA AADSAS cycle, ADEA AADSAS will accept transcripts sent electronically from National Student Clearinghouse

    Utilizing this service will not expedite the processing of transcripts. Once you have requested your transcript from Credentials Solutions, it will be posted to your application within 7-10 business days. If you do not see your transcript posted to your application within the allotted 10 business days after it was requested, please contact Credentials Solutions directly to confirm that the order was completed.


    Please note: ADEA AADSAS will not accept any other form of electronic transcripts other than those sent from Credentials Solutions. If your school is not listed on the credentials solutions website, you are required to have your official transcript mailed to ADEA AADSAS. 

    How do I indicate that a course is honors, AP or another special designation?

    After entering all courses, you will be prompted to complete the “Transcript Review” where identification of courses that are repeated, advanced placement, other tests, honors, or study abroad. 

    How do I list a lab?

    If the transcript lists labs separately, then they must be listed separately on the application as well. Record the lab as it appears on the transcript, with the title, prefix/number, amount of credits, and grade given. If the transcript combines lab/lecture courses into one class on a transcript, they should be reported as one entry on the application. 

    How do I enter in planned or in-progress terms and courses?

    1. List the school “Colleges Attended” section of the application. Make sure that the attendance dates entered for this school include the time period for in-progress or planned courses. For example, if the applicant is entering a planned Spring 2017 term, end date should include spring 2017.

    2. In the coursework section, add the planned or in-progress term and year. Select “In-Progress/Planned” from the drop-down menu rather than “Completed.”

    3. Enter the course information. The box for the grade will be grayed out so that nothing can be entered into it.

    4. Add additional planned/in-progress terms if necessary.

    5. Update in-progress and planned coursework grades during the Academic Update. Information can be added to the application as soon as it is verified.  

    How do I edit a course or term I have already entered?

    As long as you have not yet submitted your application, you can edit courses or terms by clicking the pencil icon to the right of each entry. You can delete courses or terms by clicking the trash icon. You cannot edit or delete term information when classes are listed underneath the term. The classes must be removed to edit term information.

    My school uses a narrative transcript. What do I do?

    To enter this school into your coursework section, you should list all of your courses as you would for a regular institution. If your transcript provides “suggested” credits and/or grades, enter those as well. Otherwise, list the credits as “0.0” and the grades as “Pass.” Although these will not factor into your GPA, your schools will see the list of classes you took, and a copy of the official narrative transcript from your school which you will submit to ADEA AADSAS can be viewed by dental schools.

    What is a course credit and how do I enter my course credits into the Transcript Entry section?

    By credits, ADEA AADSAS means the number of credit hours the class is worth or attempted credits, regardless of your grade. In general, this number is usually a “3.0” or a “4.0” for a full semester or quarter course. If your credits are reported in semester or quarter hours no conversion is necessary. The only time a conversion is necessary is if your courses were reported in “units.” This is generally “1.0” for full courses and represents a number of semester or quarter hours predetermined by the school (for example, 1 unit = 4 semester hours). Since our system cannot automatically account for this, applicants with this type of reporting system must convert these to semester or quarter hours to enter their credits. There is usually a conversion on the back of your transcript which will indicate how many semester or quarter hours each unit is worth. If you cannot locate the conversion, we recommend contacting your registrar’s office.

    How do I list a repeated course?

    For repeated courses, both grades must be reported as they appear on the official transcript. If the course was retaken at the same school, please select "Repeated" as the Special Classification the final time it was taken. If the courses were taken at different schools, the Special Classification should remain “Not Applicable” for both attempts. In either case, both grades will factor into your ADEA AADSAS GPA calculation. Because ADEA AADSAS is required to standardize grades across all colleges, we cannot accept individual schools’ “forgiveness policies” regarding repeat course grades. Please note that your individual schools are under no obligation to use the ADEA AADSAS GPA and may or may not decide to recalculate the GPA for their own institutional use.

    What if I received credit for coursework taken through the military?

    Individuals in the U.S. Armed Services frequently receive credit for courses that they have taken while in service. Sometimes these courses do not appear on any college transcript even if they are considered postsecondary. If that is the case, please do not enter your military coursework into your application. In other situations, information about these courses may be posted to something called a JST (Joint Services Transcript). ADEA AADSAS does not consider courses that appear on a JST to be college courses and they should not be entered into your Coursework section.

    Sometimes, individuals in the U.S. Armed Services receive academic credit for courses completed while serving. In such cases, the individual is officially enrolled in a college/university: Community College of the Air Force, West Point, United States Army Command and General Staff College or University of Maryland, which has an extensive network of branch campuses for the military. If you attended one of these accredited institutions, you should select your school from the ADEA AADSAS list of military institutions and report your coursework as it appears on your official transcript from CCAF, West Point or University of Maryland under the appropriate college. In this case, the courses are treated as regular college courses. Please note that you will be required have your accredited military institution transcript sent directly to ADEA AADSAS.

    I don’t know the specific course information for my planned coursework, such as the course prefix and number. What do I do?

    Enter the course information to the best of your ability. Planned/in-progress courses can be edited in the future once you have more information.

    Can I update my coursework after I submit my application?

    No. Once you have submitted your application to ADEA AADSAS, no changes to coursework can be made. If you submit your ADEA AADSAS application before your updated grades are available, you may update your coursework during the Academic Update period. An email will be sent to applicants when the Academic Update period opens.

    Can you tell me how my coursework looks on my transcripts or send a copy/fax of my transcripts to me?

    No. As per the Family Educational Rights and Privacy Act of 1974, once a transcript arrives at ADEA AADSAS, it becomes illegal for us to release that information to any third party, including the individuals who originally sent it. All applicants must obtain their own copy of their official transcripts in order to properly fill out their application.

    Can I send my transcripts before beginning my application?

    No. Please do not send transcripts to ADEA AADSAS before creating your 2018 ADEA AADSAS account. Doing so will cause delays in processing. 

    How long will it take before I see that my transcript list as received in the Check Status tab of my application?

    Transcript processing takes 7-10 business days from the date it arrives at the ADEA AADSAS processing facility.

    I am an international student. Do I need to add my coursework?

    Applicants to do not enter foreign coursework in ADEA AADSAS unless it appears as a transfer credit on a US. transcript.

    Do I have to report all the colleges I attended if the transfer credit appears on my home school transcript?

    Yes. You are required to list all undergraduate and graduate institutions you have attended or plan to attend through summer 2017.

    I attended a foreign school. What kind of documentation is required?

    ADEA AADSAS does not have foreign document requirements; these requirements are sent by the dental schools and not by ADEA AADSAS. Dental schools may require foreign transcript evaluation made by WES (World Education Services) or Education Credential Evaluators (ECE). Please check with your dental school(s) to determine whether they prefer evaluations made by a particular company.

    ADEA AADSAS receives both WES and ECE evaluations electronically ONLY. To request that your evaluation be sent electronically, go to the Colleges Attended folder in the Academic History section of your application. Select "Order WES Evaluation" or "Order ECE Evaluation," depending on which one(s) your schools prefer. Doing so will automatically populate your CAS ID in the order form once you log into the WES or ECE website. You MUST order your electronic evaluation using the link in your ADEA AADSAS application. Evaluations ordered by going directly to the WES or ECE website will be sent in hard copy and will not be accepted. If you mail these materials, they will be discarded and ADEA AADSAS is under no obligation to return the documents back to you.

    Please note that ADEA AADSAS does not verify foreign coursework, and therefore your application will not be delayed awaiting the arrival of a foreign transcript evaluation.

    How do I send DAT scores to ADEA AADSAS?

    When you register for the American Dental Association Dental Admission Test (DAT), you are encouraged to indicate the dental schools where you would like your scores to be sent. This will ensure that each of these schools can receive your DAT scores directly from the American Dental Association (ADA), in addition to your scores being reported electronically through ADEA AADSAS. We realize that when you sign up for the DAT, you may not have decided on the dental schools to which you will be applying. As long as you have indicated at least one dental school in your DAT registration, your official DAT scores will be imported into your ADEA AADSAS application. ADEA AADSAS includes your official DAT scores in the application file that is sent to every dental school you have designated in your ADEA AADSAS application. Even so, you should still request that the ADA send your official DAT scores to any additional dental schools you to which you later decide to apply, as the schools are expecting to receive your official score report from the ADA in hard copy as well as electronically from ADEA AADSAS.

    DAT scores are automatically matched to your application using your DENTPIN number and your date of birth. Please verify that you have entered your DENTPIN correctly into the “Account Information” section of your application and correctly entered your date of birth in the “Biographic Information” section. For further information regarding sending your test scores, please call the ADA at 1-800-232-2162 or email them.

    How long will it take for my DAT scores to be received by ADEA AADSAS?

    It will take about 3-4 weeks from the date you took the exam for your DAT scores to post to your ADEA AADSAS application. ADEA AADSAS will use your DENTPIN number and date of birth to electronically match your scores and post them to your application. Since ADEA AADSAS will not be able to match your scores if your date of birth and/or DENTPIN number are incorrectly reported on either your application or with the ADA, please ensure that you have reported your DENTPIN and date of birth correctly to the ADA and in your ADEA AADSAS application.

    How do I check if my official DAT scores have been received?

    Once official DAT scores will be imported into your profile, they will be viewable on the in-progress PDF available to applicants. To view the PDF, you should go to the Check Status tab of your application and click the download button next to each program selection. 

    I took the test more than once. How many scores are reported to ADEA AADSAS?

    The most recent four test administrations are reported. Dental schools have different policies on how they review applications with more than one DAT score; applicants are encouraged to contact the individual dental schools for more information on how multiple DAT scores are handled.

    I applied to ADEA AADSAS last year and sent in my DAT scores then. I haven’t retaken the test; do I need to resend my DAT scores?

    No, if you are reapplying to the same schools. Yes, if you are applying to new schools.

    The ADEA AADSAS application opens in June, but I took the test before June. Can I send in my scores early? How early?

    Yes, you can send in the score up to two years before you create an application. If your score was sent more than two years ago, it should be resent.

    It has been more than four weeks from the test date and my scores haven’t been received by ADEA AADSAS. What should I do?

    First, double-check to make sure that your DENTPIN and date of birth are correct in both your ADEA AADSAS account and your account with the ADA. If not, you will need to correct this information in order for your scores to post.

    If it has been more than 10 days since the scores were sent or more than 3-4 weeks since you sat for the DAT and your scores have not been posted, please email with the following information:




    Date of birth:

    Date test was taken:

    Date ADA sent scores to ADEA AADSAS:

    Once we receive this information, our staff will conduct a manual search for your DAT score(s). This process typically takes about 5-7 business days to complete.

    Do you accept Canadian DAT score reports?

    Please enter your Canadian DAT scores into the DAT Scores section of your application as they appear on your score report from the Canadian Dental Association. Please arrange for your official Canadian DAT score reports to be sent directly to your designated dental schools and not to ADEA AADSAS. ADEA AADSAS cannot forward score reports to your designated school or return them to you. The Canadian Dental Admission Test is conducted by the Canadian Dental Association (CDA). For more detailed information regarding the Canadian DAT, please contact the CDA directly

    I think my GPA was calculated incorrectly. How can I get ADEA AADSAS to review my GPA calculations?
    After reviewing the ADEA AADSAS policies and grade calculation worksheets, submit a request by email to with details of what you think should be reviewed.

    When will my GPAs be available?
    After all application materials are processed and transcripts have been verified (this can take approximately four weeks), ADEA AADSAS calculates the GPAs.

    Where will I be able to view my GPAs?
    Once coursework is verified, please log in to your account and look at the right-hand status menu for GPA calculations, among other statuses.

    Do repeated courses factor into my GPA?
    All attempts of a course are factored into the ADEA AADSAS GPA. Credits and grades for all attempts at repeated courses should be entered. Please note that withdrawn courses are not considered repeats.