ADEA/Gillette Hayden Memorial Foundation/AAWD Woman Dentist Tuition Scholarship
The American Dental Education Association (ADEA), with support from the Gillette Hayden Memorial Foundation (GHMF) in partnership with the American Association of Women Dentists (AAWD), announces the ADEA/Gillette Hayden Memorial Foundation/AAWD Woman Dentist Tuition Scholarship for Professional Development. This scholarship supports professional development activities for women dentist faculty in dental education in the early stages of their careers.
The ADEA/Gillette Hayden Memorial Foundation/AAWD Woman Dentist Tuition Scholarship for Professional Development was created to enable women dentists who are early-career faculty (up to three years of experience) to participate in programs that will improve their teaching abilities, increase their leadership skills and advance their understanding and mastery of other critical elements of a successful academic career.
Use your MyADEA Login to sign in.
The scholarship supports a woman dentist faculty member in dental education to participate in the ADEA Emerging Leaders Program. This three-and-a-half-day program covers topics such as leadership styles, team building and time management that are essential to planning and implementing a successful academic career. The highly interactive program has been designed specifically to give faculty guidance, insight and skills to propel participants’ careers and is suited for early-career faculty members, whether they recently joined their institutions after a residency or after time spent in private practice. The programming includes onsite sessions led by preeminent experts in dental education, readings, assignments and team-building exercises. Additionally, each participant is assigned to a peer group tasked with helping its members implement the topics discussed and learn to manage the pressures of being a new faculty member. These peer groups are facilitated by leaders in dental education who themselves are graduates of the ADEA Emerging Leaders Program or the ADEA Leadership Institute.
One $1,950 tuition scholarship will be awarded in 2023. Scholarship recipients or their institutions will be responsible for lodging and transportation expenses associated with participating in the program. All women dentist faculty and residents are welcome to apply. Applicants must be a current member of AAWD.
An applicant must:
- Agree to the terms of scholarship, including participating in the program in its entirety. Additionally, the applicant may be asked to participate in a video testimonial of the scholarship's impact on her professional development. Portions of the video may be used for ADEA, GHMF and AAWD promotional purposes.
- Be nominated by the dean of her dental school or program director of her residency. No more than two nominations per school are permitted.
- Be a full- or part-time educator, resident in the final year of study or administrator at an ADEA Member Institution.
- Be an ADEA Individual Member.
- Be a current member of AAWD.
The following items must be submitted by Nov. 1, 2022, using the ADEA online application process.
- A completed ADEA/Gillette Hayden Memorial Foundation/AAWD Woman Dentist Tuition Scholarship for Professional Development application form, including a personal statement describing the applicant’s strengths and weaknesses as a faculty member and a summary describing any previous professional development she has experienced.
- A current curriculum vitae.
- One letter of recommendation from an AAWD member colleague, stating why the applicant should be considered for the tuition scholarship.
- One letter of nomination from the dean of the applicant’s dental school or the program director of their residency, stating how the applicant’s participation will benefit the applicant and institution.
- Verification of active membership from AAWD national headquarters.
Notification Date and Award Announcement
Scholarship recipients and applicants not receiving awards will be notified by Feb. 1, 2023.
Awards will be announced during the 2023 ADEA Annual Session & Exhibition in Portland, OR, March 11–14, 2023.
Mr. Eric Lund
ADEA Professional Development Manager