University of Pittsburgh School of Dental Medicine
Description of Program
The International Advanced Standing Program (IASP) at the University of Pittsburgh School of Dental Medicine (Pitt SDM) is designed to permit qualified international dentists who graduated from programs not accredited by the Commission on Dental Accreditation to earn a Doctor of Dental Medicine (D.M.D.) degree from Pitt SDM.
The IASP is a minimum of two academic years in length. It is individualized for each admitted student and may require additional time to complete. The program begins in May of each year with intensive, one-term didactic and preclinical courses. Following successful completion of this provisional segment, IASP students enter the predoctoral program.
Anitha Potluri D.M.D., M.D.Sc.
Director, International Advanced Standing Program
University of Pittsburgh
School of Dental Medicine
G119 Salk Hall
3501 Terrace Street
Pittsburgh, PA 15261
Telephone: (412) 648-8422
Fax: (412) 648-9571
Length of Program: 24 months
Program Application Deadline: Sept. 1, 2021
Start Date: May 1, 2022
Class Size: Maximum of 5 - 8
Degree Awarded: D.M.D.
Requirements to Apply to Program
English Language Proficiency
- Must be proficient in the English language.
- Applicants whose native language is not English are required to take the Test of English as a Foreign Language (TOEFL)*. Both the Internet-based and home-based TOEFL will be accepted at this time.
- Successful completion of the TOEFL with a score of 100 or above is preferred. However, due to the COVID-19 situation, a minimum score of 90 will be accepted temporarily.
- TOEFL results must be dated after Dec. 31, 2019 and sent directly to ADEA CAAPID®.
National Board Dental Examination (NBDE) and Integrated National Board Dental Examination (INBDE) Requirements
- Program requires passage of NBDE Parts I and II or the INBDE to be considered for admission.
- Official NBDE Part I & Part II or INBDE scores must be entered on the ADEA CAAPID application under the “Academic History” > “Standardized Tests” section.
Advanced Dental Admission Test (ADAT)
- Completion of the ADAT is accepted, but not required for admission to the program.
Letters of Evaluation
- Three Letters of Evaluation are required*:
- Two of the required Letters of Evaluation must be from either a dean, associate dean, department chair or faculty member of the dental school from which applicant graduated.
- One letter must be from a shadowing experience, preferably within the United States.
- These letters must be directly uploaded by the letter writers to ADEA CAAPID. When you fill out your CAAPID application you will provide the names of your evaluators and their contact information. CAAPID will then contact them via email with instructions on how to submit a letter. The email will include a link to an online portal where they will upload their letters.
- *These three letters are non-negotiable.
Transcripts and Evaluations
- In addition to the CAAPID application fee, a university application fee of $75 is required upon submission of your application.
- University application fee can be paid online.
- Qualified applicants will be invited for an interview and bench test.
- If invited for interview, applicants will be asked to submit:
An onsite/virtual interview/virtual or onsite bench test fee will be required from those applicants invited to interview. (Interview format will depend upon existing COVID restrictions.)
Accepted applicants must pay a non-refundable tuition deposit at time of acceptance, which will be applied to the fall term. Accepted applicants must pay a non-refundable fee prior to the provisional summer program that begins in early May.
All fees described herein are non-refundable.
- An electronic copy of a passport page or proof of U.S. citizenship or permanent residency (any status is acceptable) and
- An electronic 2x2-inch cell phone “headshot” photo. Photo must be in .jpeg or .png format.
New: A Bench Testing Preparation Course may be offered at Pitt Dental Medicine, dependent upon the existing COVID restrictions. For more details or to register for the course, please check our website. (Participation in the course will not guarantee admission into our program.)
For additional information pertaining to the application process, admissions requirements and other program details, please refer to our website.