University of Alabama at Birmingham School of Dentistry
Description of Program
The University of Alabama at Birmingham (UAB) is a public, urban research university and academic health center. The School of Dentistry’s (UAB SOD) International Dental Program (IDP) provides foreign-educated dental graduates the opportunity to enter a Commission of Dental Accreditation- (CODA-) approved D.M.D. program. Following an intensive, six-month preparatory term, qualified students integrate with undergraduate dental students to complete the final two years of the D.M.D. curriculum.
UAB School of Dentistry
International Dental Program
1720 Second Ave. South, SDB 125
Birmingham, AL 35294-0007
Phone: (205) 975-1105
Length of Program: 30 months
Program Deadline: May 30, 2021
Start Date: January 2022
Class Size: 16 students will enter the program in 2022
Degree Awarded: D.M.D.
Requirements to Apply to Program
All program applicants must apply through ADEA CAAPID®, an online application managed by the American Dental Education Association. ADEA CAAPID is the centralized application service for international applicants who have previously completed a dental education program outside the United States or Canada who wish to practice dentistry in the United States.
Only CAAPID-verified applications with all required application materials submitted by the deadline will be considered.
English Language Proficiency
- Must demonstrate acceptable English language speaking and reading skills. Applicants whose native language is not English are required to take the TOEFL internet-based test (iBT).
- A minimum 94 iBT score and a score of 20 or above in each of the four skill areas is required. (Suggested 100 iBT score or above to be competitive.)
- TOEFL scores more than two years old are not accepted.
- Submit TOEFL information to ADEA CAAPID.
National Board Dental Examination (NBDE) Requirements
- Must pass NBDE Part I & II or INBDE to be considered for admission.
- Submit NBDE/INBDE information to ADEA CAAPID.
Transcripts and Evaluations
- Applicant must submit an official, detailed, course-by-course evaluation by Educational Credential Evaluators, Inc. (ECE) of transcript from dental school and any other colleges attended outside the United States.
- Submit ECE evaluations to ADEA CAAPID.
Letters of Evaluation
- Program requires three Letters of Evaluation from former teachers or mentors who can attest to applicant's character, conduct and professional ability. If possible, one or more of the three letters should be from a dentist practicing in the United States who supervised or worked with the applicant in a clinical or educational setting.
- Submit letters to ADEA CAAPID.
- Program prefers candidates who are U.S. citizens or permanent residents, but will consider all well-qualified applicants.
Advanced Dental Admission Test (ADAT)
- Completion of the ADAT is accepted, but not required, for admission to the program.
Application Fees/Additional Materials
- Send a $175 non-refundable processing fee to the program, not to ADEA CAAPID, after submitting the ADEA CAAPID application. The application processing fee (money order or cashier’s check in U.S. dollars) must be made payable to UAB.
If Invited for an Interview, Other Documents That Should Be Sent Directly to Program if not Already Received:
- A copy of the applicant’s dental license if applicable.
- A copy of the applicant’s dental school diploma.
- $250 non-refundable bench test fee.
- A copy of proof of residency (U.S. passport, U.S. birth certificate or Certificate of Naturalization), a copy of proof of permanent resident visa (green card) or a copy of immigration documentation.
Entering students will also be required to complete a criminal background check.
Offers of admission are not considered final and enrollment is not permitted until completion of the criminal background check with results deemed favorable by UAB SOD.
Please do not submit original documents to UAB SOD.
Once a student is admitted, they are then required to submit original documents (i.e., original college transcripts, certified copy of diploma or proof of residency) directly to our program.
Scholarships are not available for this program.