University of Alabama at Birmingham School of Dentistry
Download a PDF of the ADEA CAAPID profile for the University of Alabama at Birmingham
School of Dentistry.
Description of Program
The University of Alabama at Birmingham (UAB) is a public, urban research university and academic health center. The School of Dentistry's (UAB SOD) International Dental Program (IDP) provides foreign educated dental graduates the opportunity to enter a CODA approved DMD program. Following an intensive 6-month preparatory term, qualified students integrate with traditional students to complete the final two years of the DMD curriculum.
UAB School of Dentistry
International Dental Program
1720 Second Ave. South, SDB 125
Birmingham, AL 35294-0007
Phone: (205) 975-1105
Length of Program: 30 months
Program Deadline: May 24, 2019
Start Date: January 2020
Class Size: 16 students will enter the program in 2020
Degree Awarded: D.M.D.
Requirements to apply to program
English Language Proficiency
- Must demonstrate acceptable English language speaking and reading skills. Applicants whose native language is not English are required to take the TOEFL iBT test.
- Program requires an iBT average score of 94 or above AND a score of 20 or above in each of the four skill areas.
National Board Dental Examination Requirements
- Must pass NBDE Part I and Part II to be considered for admission.
Advanced Dental Admission Test (ADAT)
- Completion of the ADAT is accepted, but NOT REQUIRED for admission to the program.
Letters of Evaluation
- Program requires three Letters of Evaluation from former teachers or mentors who can attest to applicant's character, conduct, and professional ability. If possible one or more of the three letters should be from a dentist practicing in the United States who supervised or worked with the applicant in a clinical or educational setting.
Transcripts and Evaluations
- Applicant must submit an official, detailed, course-by-course evaluation by Educational Credential Evaluators (ECE).
Application Fees/Additional Materials
- Send a $175.00 non-refundable processing fee to the program (Not to ADEA CAAPID) after submitting ADEA CAAPID application. The application processing fee (money order or cashier's check in U.S. dollars) must be made payable to UAB.
- One 2" x 2" passport photograph.
- Curriculum vitae.
- Program prefers candidates who are US citizens or Permanent Resident, but will consider all well-qualified applicants
If invited for an interview, other documents that should be sent directly to program if not already received:
- Official TOEFL score report - verified.
- Official NBDE Part I score report. If available, official NBDE Part II score report - verified.
- A copy of the applicant's dental license if applicable.
- A copy of the applicant's dental school diploma.
- Official transcripts from dental program and any other post graduate studies or other higher education transcripts
- Proof of residency (a copy of immigration documentation, US passport or permanent resident card or Visa).
- $250.00 non-refundable bench test fee.
Entering students will also be required to complete a criminal background check. Offers of admission are not considered final and enrollment is not permitted until completion of the criminal background check with results deemed favorable by UAB SOD.
*Scholarships are not available for this program.