University of California, San Francisco School of Dentistry
Download a PDF of the ADEA CAAPID profile for the University of California, San Francisco School of Dentistry.
Description of Program
The UCSF International Dentist Program (IDP) is a two-year (8-quarter) program administered by the UCSF School of Dentistry. The program may extend beyond two years depending on the student’s ability to meet all graduation requirements.
The program admits 28 foreign-trained dentists yearly. The program begins in June of each year and culminates in a Doctor of Dental Science (D.D.S.) degree. These students will matriculate into the existing third year didactic curriculum.
School of Dentistry
707 Parnasssus Avenue - #D-4010
Fourth Floor - Box #0636
San Francisco, CA 94143-0636
Telephone: (415) 476-0589
Fax: (415) 476-3448
Length of Program: 24 months
Application available starting: March 5, 2019
Deadline for accepting Application: May 31, 2019
Program Start Date: June 15, 2020
Class Size: 28
Degree Awarded: D.D.S.
Requirements to apply to program
English Language Proficiency
- Must be proficient in the English language
- All applicants must take the TOEFL to be considered for admission
- Submit official TOEFL Score Report to program (not to ADEA CAAPID)
- Applicants whose native language is not English are required to take the TOEFL
- Submit your TOEFL Score Report with scores earned from 06/08/2016 to the present.
- Minimum TOEFL Scores are as followed & earned between 05/31/2017 to present:
- 95 or higher on the internet based test (iBT), or
- 240 or higher on the computer test, or
- 587 or higher on the paper test
National Board Dental Examination Requirements
- Applicants must
pass Part 1 and Part 2 of NBDE
- Submit official
NBDE Part 1 and Part 2 Report to program (not to ADEA CAAPID)
Advanced Dental Admission Test (ADAT)
- Completion of the ADAT will "not" required for admissions to this program.
Letter of Evaluation
- Requires (3) letters of recommendation (dean, faculty & candidate choice)
- Letters must come stamped and sealed from evaluators providing the recommendations..
Transcripts and Evaluations
- Applicants must submit original dental school, non-dental school and all postgraduate program transcripts directly to program
- Transcripts must come stamped and sealed from all conferring institutions. Notarized copies are "not" acceptable. Please refer to our website for translation of documents.
- Submit original official ECE course-by-course evaluation. Dental School transcript must have a GPA of 2.40 (comprehensive) or higher in order to be considered for admission. To ensure uniformity of evaluation, the ECE is the "only" credential evaluation report accepted.
Other documents that should be sent to directly to the Program (not to ADEA CAAPID)
Before final admission, provisionally admitted applicants who need a visa must complete a Confidential Financial Statement. The certification is necessary for UCSF to provide a Certificate of Eligibility (I-20A/B) which allows the applicant to apply for a student visa. The I-20 A/B is only given to applicants granted final acceptance to the IDP.