Southern Illinois University - School of Dental Medicine
Description of Program
The International Advanced Placement Program (IAPP) of Southern Illinois University School of Dental Medicine (SIU SDM) is a full-time, Monday through Friday, 27-month program that offers qualified graduates of dental programs outside of the United States and Canada the opportunity to earn the Doctor of Dental Medicine (D.M.D.) degree. Following successful completion of an initial three-month didactic review and intensive skills development course (Clinical Certification Course), that is designed to assure congruence with our traditional students, candidates will merge with the junior class to complete the final two years of the D.M.D. curriculum. Graduates of the program will have acquired the requisite knowledge and skills to engage in contemporary dental practice, and be eligible to take state and regional dental licensing examinations offered in the United States.
The IAPP of SIU-SDM Admissions Team
Southern Illinois University
School of Dental Medicine
2800 College Ave., Bldg. 273
Alton, IL 62002
Telephone: (618) 474-7183
Fax: (618) 474-7249
Length of Program: 27 months minimum
Program Deadline: June 4, 2021
Projected Start Date: February 14, 2022
Class Size: Six minimum
Degree Awarded: D.M.D.
Requirements to Apply to Program
Prior to contacting the IAPP with questions, please make sure you have reviewed the information on our website, including the Frequently Asked Questions (FAQ) page .
English Language Proficiency
- Applicants must prove proficiency in the English language.
- All applicants must have taken the Test of English as a Foreign Language (TOEFL) within the previous two years to be considered for admission. There will be no exceptions to this. Applicants who are U.S. citizens and/or were raised in English-speaking countries will not be exempted from taking the TOEFL examination.
- The program accepts internet-based TOEFL (iBT) scores only. (For the 2021-22 application cycle, SIU-SDM will accept the TOEFL iBT Special Home Edition.)
- Only candidates invited for an interview will need to submit official TOEFL scores from Educational Testing Service Inc. (ETS) to the program. Paper copies of scores will not be accepted. Only official TOEFL scores electronically submitted from ETS to IAPP of SIU SDM will be accepted.
- An iBT total score below 94 will not be accepted. It is recommended that the applicant have the following sub scores:
- Reading – Recommended minimum score of 22
- Listening – Recommended minimum score of 22
- Speaking – Recommended minimum score of 26
- Writing – Recommended minimum score of 24
- Preference is given to candidates with an iBT total score minimum of 100, listening section scores above 25 and speaking section scores above 28. MyBest Scores will be considered.
National Board Dental Examination (NBDE) Requirements
- Program requires passage of either (a) NBDE Parts I & II OR (b) the Integrated National Board Dental Examination (INBDE) to be considered for admission.
- Only candidates invited for an interview will need to submit Official NBDE scores directly to IAPP of SIU SDM, not to ADEA CAAPID®.
Advanced Dental Admission Test (ADAT)
- Completion of the ADAT is accepted, but not required for admission to the program.
Letters of Evaluation
Three Letters of Evaluation are required:
- The letters should be from instructors or individuals who are able to evaluate the applicant’s dental knowledge, skill, character and potential for success in the IAPP.
- At least one letter should be written by a dental professional who has worked with the candidate within the 12 months preceding the application submission.
- Letters must be written within the 12 months preceding the application submission.
- Letters of Evaluation must be written in English or translated by a certified U.S. translator at the applicant’s expense.
- Letters of Evaluation should be written on professional letterhead from the author and include the original signature, whenever possible. If the letter is electronically submitted directly from the author to ADEA CAAPID with an electronic signature, it will be accepted if it is not on letterhead.
- A minimum of three letters are required, but no more than four letters will be accepted.
- We do not accept Letters of Evaluation that are mailed or emailed directly to the IAPP of SIU SDM. Only letters uploaded in ADEA CAAPID will be accepted.
Transcripts and Evaluations
- Applicant must submit to ADEA CAAPID a detailed “course-by-course evaluation” by Educational Credential Evaluators, Inc. (ECE) of transcripts from dental school and any other colleges attended outside the United States.
- If admitted, IAPP of SIU SDM will require official transcripts from the applicant’s original dental school to be sent directly to program.
- A non-refundable application fee of $20 is required and can only be paid with a cashier’s check or money order in U.S. funds, made payable to SIUE (Southern IL University – Edwardsville).
- A non-refundable fee of $450 will be required for a mandatory technical bench examination only for applicants invited to interview at IAPP of SIU SDM. This fee will not be applied to any future expenses of the Program.
Other documents that should be sent directly to the program (not to ADEA CAAPID):
- The IAPP Supplemental Application for Admissionis required by the IAPP of SIU SDM in addition to the ADEA CAAPID application. An application will not be considered by the admissions team until this supplemental application has been received. This is accessible for download on the Requirements page of our website.
- A passport-sized photograph (51 mm x 51 mm) should be attached to the IAPP supplemental application where indicated. Please sign, date and write your ADEA CAAPID number on the back of the photograph. If your photo becomes separated from your application, this will ensure that we know with which application it belongs.
- Non-refundable application fee of $20 that can be paid with a cashier’s check or money order in U.S. funds, made payable to SIUE (Southern IL University – Edwardsville).
- All documents sent directly to IAPP of SIU SDM must contain the applicant’s ADEA CAAPID number for cross referencing.