Southern Illinois University - School of Dental Medicine
Download a PDF of the ADEA CAAPID profile for Southern Illinois University – School of Dental Medicine International
Advanced Placement Program (IAPP).
Description of Program
IAPP of SIU-SDM is a full-time, daily, Monday through Friday, 27 month program
that offers qualified graduates of dental programs outside of the United States
and Canada the opportunity to earn the Doctor of Dental Medicine (DMD) degree
at the Southern Illinois University School of Dental Medicine (SIU-SDM).
Following successful completion of an initial 3 month didactic review and
intensive skills development course (Clinical Certification Course), that is
designed to assure congruence with our traditional students, candidates will
merge with the junior class to complete the final two years of the DMD
curriculum. Graduates of the program will have acquired the requisite knowledge
and skills to engage in contemporary dental practice, and be eligible to take
state and regional dental licensing examinations offered in the United States.
The IAPP of SIU-SDM Admissions Team
Southern Illinois University
School of Dental Medicine
2800 College Ave., Bldg. 273
Alton, IL 62002
Telephone: (618) 474-7183
Fax: (618) 474-7249
Length of Program: 27 months minimum
Program Deadline: June 28, 2019 @ 5:00pm CST
Start Date: February 17, 2020
Class Size: 6
Degree Awarded: D.M.D.
Requirements to apply to program
Prior to contacting the IAPP with questions, please make sure that you have reviewed the information on our website, including the Frequently Asked Questions (FAQ) page.
English Language Proficiency
- Applicants must prove proficiency in the English language.
- All applicants must have taken the Test of English as a Foreign Language (TOEFL) within the previous 2 years to be considered for admission. There will be no exceptions to this. Applicants who are U.S. citizens and/or were raised in English speaking countries will not be exempted from taking the TOEFL examination.
- The Program accepts Internet Based TOEFL (IBT) scores only.
- ONLY candidates invited for an
interview will need to submit Official TOEFL scores from ETS to the
program. Paper copies of scores will not
be accepted. Only official TOEFL scores
electronically submitted from Educational Testing Service (ETS) to IAPP of
SIU-SDM will be accepted.
- An IBT total score below 94 will not be accepted. It is recommended that the applicant have the following sub scores:
- Reading – Recommended minimum score of 22
- Listening – Recommended minimum score of 22
- Speaking – Recommended minimum score of 26
- Writing – Recommended minimum score of 24
- Preference is given to candidates with an IBT total score minimum of 100, and with listening section scores above 25 and speaking section scores above 28.
National Board Dental Examination Requirements
- Program requires passage of Part I National Board Dental Examinations (NBDE) to be considered for admission.
- Passage of Part II NBDE will be strongly considered.
- ONLY candidates invited for an
interview will need to submit Official NBDE scores directly to IAPP of SIU-SDM
(not to ADEA CAAPID).
Advanced Dental Admission Test (ADAT)
- Completion of the ADAT is accepted, but NOT REQUIRED for admission to the program.
Letters of Evaluation
Three letters of evaluation are required:
- The letters
should be from instructors or individuals who are able to evaluate the
applicant's dental knowledge, skill, character, and potential for success in
least one letter should be written by a dental professional who has worked with
the candidate within the 12 months preceding application submission.
must be written within the 12 months preceding application submission.
of evaluation must be written in English, or translated by a certified
U.S. translator at the applicant’s expense.
of evaluation should be written on professional letterhead from the author and
include original signature whenever possible. If the
letter is electronically submitted directly from the author to ADEA CAAPID with an
electronic signature, it will be acceptable if it is not on letterhead.
- A minimum of 3 letters are required, but no more than 4 letters will be accepted.
- We do not accept letters of evaluation that are mailed or emailed directly to the IAPP of SIU SDM. Only letters uploaded in ADEA CAAPID will be accepted.
Transcripts and Evaluations
- Applicant must submit to ADEA CAAPID a detailed “Course-by-Course Evaluation”, by Educational Credential Evaluators, Inc. (ECE), of transcripts from dental school and any other colleges attended outside the U.S.
- If admitted, IAPP of SIU-SDM will require official transcripts from the applicant's original dental school to be sent directly to program.
non-refundable application fee of $20 is required, and can ONLY be paid with a cashier’s check or money order in U.S. funds made payable to SIUE (Southern IL
University – Edwardsville).
- A non-refundable fee of $450.00 will be required for a mandatory technical bench examination for applicants invited to interview at the IAPP of SIU-SDM. This fee will not be applied to any future expenses of the program.
- A fee will
be required for a mandatory technical bench examination
only for applicants invited to interview at IAPP of SIU-SDM.
Other documents that should be sent directly to the program (not to ADEA CAAPID):
- A supplemental application is required by the IAPP of SIU-SDM in addition to the ADEA CAAPID application. An application will not be considered by the admissions team until this supplemental application has been received. This is accessible for download on the Requirements and Admissions page of our website. Supplemental Application: www.siue.edu/dental/iapp/pdf/IAPP_Supplemental_Application_2018.pdf.
- A passport size photograph (51 mm x 51 mm) should be attached to the IAPP supplemental application where indicated. Please sign, date, and write your ADEA CAAPID number on the back of the photograph. Should your photo get separated from your application, this will ensure that we know with which application it belongs.
- Non-refundable application fee of $20.00 that can be paid with a cashier's check or money order in U.S. funds made payable to SIUE (Southern IL University – Edwardsville).
All documents sent directly to IAPP of SIU-SDM must contain the applicant's ADEA CAAPID number for cross referencing.