Indiana University School of Dentistry
Description of Program
The Indiana University-International Dentist Program (IU-IDP) offers qualified graduates of international dental programs the opportunity to earn the Doctor of Dental Surgery (D.D.S.) degree at Indiana University School of Dentistry (IUSD). Qualified applicants who successfully complete the application process and matriculate into the D.D.S. program will enter the second semester of the second year of dental school. Upon successful completion of the D.D.S. program, graduates are eligible to take state or regional clinical board examinations to be eligible for dental licensure and dental practice in the United States.
Dr. Joan E. Kowolik
Director of Admissions and Recruitment
Indiana University School of Dentistry
Office of Admissions and Recruitment
1121 West Michigan Street, Room 105
Indianapolis, IN 46202
Email: email@example.com (Email is preferred.)
Length of Program: A minimum of 30 months
Program Deadline: May 11, 2021
Start Date: January 2022
Class Size: 15/16
Degree Awarded: D.D.S.
Requirements to Apply to Program
- All applicants to IU-IDP are required to complete an online assessment, the CASPer® exam, to assist with the program selection process. CASPer is an online test allowing assessment of non-cognitive skills and interpersonal characteristics that IU-IDP believes are important for successful students and graduates of the program. CASPer will complement the other tools we use for applicant screening. The CASPer implementation will allow the program to enhance fairness and objectivity in our holistic review selection process.
- The date options for this assessment are published online.
- Successful completion of CASPer is mandatory in order to maintain admission eligibility.
- You will need your CAAPID ID number and a form of government-issued photo ID (passport or state driver’s license).
- Note: Please ensure that the CASPer scores are sent directly to Indiana University School of Dentistry, not to the IU School of Medicine.
- CASPer test results are valid for one admission cycle only.
English Language Proficiency
- Applicant must be proficient in the English language.
- Applicants whose native language is not English are required to take the Test of English as a Foreign Language (TOEFL).
- Program accepts internet-based TOEFL (iBT) scores only.
- The TOEFL must be taken within the past two years of application.
- The TOEFL score report should be sent electronically and directly from the Education Testing Service (ETS) to ADEA CAAPID®. A TOEFL minimum score of 90 (iBT) is required. Preference is given to candidates with scores of 100 and above.
National Board Dental Examination (NBDE)
- The IU-IDP program requires passage of NBDE Parts I and II or the Integrated NBDE for the application to be complete and for applicants to be considered for admission to the program.
- National Boards score reports issued during or after 2012 must be sent to ADEA CAAPID directly from the American Dental Association (ADA).
- National Boards score reports issued before 2012 must be sent directly from the ADA to the IUSD via firstname.lastname@example.org. Score reports received from applicant email addresses will be rejected.
- National Boards score reports can be requested by applicants online.
Advanced Dental Admission Test (ADAT)
The ADAT is not considered for admission to the program.
A personal statement/essay is required for the application to be complete. The personal statement may include information about dental education experiences, dental-related activities and professional goals. It should be remembered that the personal statement is the first method by which the Admissions Committee “meets” the applicant. It should tell the “personal story” and not simply repeat the experiences in school.
Letters of Evaluation
You are required to submit two original letters of evaluation with your application. All letters of evaluation must be submitted directly to ADEA CAAPID.
- One letter must be from a U.S./Canadian dental professional with whom you have worked in the past 12 months.
- One letter must be from a U.S./Canadian organization through which you performed community service in the past 12 months. “Community Service” is assistance provided (without pay) through a nonprofit organization that benefits the community.
Each letter must:
- Be on the official letterhead of the organization with which the evaluator is affiliated;
- Include the evaluator’s mailing address, phone number, email address and signature; and
- Have been written within 12 months of the application’s submission date.
Letters that do not meet these criteria will not be accepted.
Note: IU-IDP encourages you to let your evaluators know that they will receive an email from ADEA CAAPID with your request for a Letter of Evaluation. IUSD’s Office of Admissions and Recruitment ensures that evaluations are valid by calling evaluators at random.
Transcripts and Evaluations
- Applicant must submit to ADEA CAAPID a detailed evaluation by Educational Credential Evaluators, Inc. (ECE). IUSD accepts only ECE evaluations. World Education Services (WES) is not accepted by the IU-IDP Program.
- No provisional degrees will be accepted.
- Do not send the ECE report to the Office of Admissions and recruitment at IUSD.
- Program requires official copies of diploma and transcripts within six months after, and only if, accepted to the program.
- Program requires original copies of diploma and transcripts of master’s level degrees within six months after, and only if, accepted to the program.
Complete and submit the Indiana University Purdue University at Indianapolis application. This application must be completed before the application will move forward.
It is the applicant’s responsibility to submit all required materials to the program by the deadline and to monitor the progress of the submission of the application. Email is the preferred and most efficient way to request the status of the application. In compliance with Family Educational Rights and Privacy Act (FERPA), information will not be given over the telephone.
The applicant may contact the Office of Admissions and Recruitment at email@example.com with any questions.