Columbia University College of Dental Medicine
Download a PDF of the ADEA CAAPID Profile for Columbia University, College of Dental Medicine
Description of Program
The Advanced Standing
Program (ASP) is designed for graduates of a recognized foreign dental school
who want to practice dentistry in the United States. The two and a half year
full-time program accredited by the Commission on Dental Accreditation (CODA)
leads to the Doctor of Dental Surgery (D.D.S.) degree.
Please submit your application through ADEA CAAPID.
Ms. Diana Lugo
Columbia University, College of Dental Medicine
Admissions and Student Affairs
630 West 168 Street, PH 7 West
New York, NY, 10032
Length of Program: 30 months
Program Deadline: August
Start Date: January 2
Class Size: 10
Degree Awarded: D.D.S.
Requirements to apply to program
Preference will be given to
those applicants that are US Citizens or US Permanent Residents and graduated
from a recognized foreign dental school
English Language Proficiency
- Must be proficient in the English language.
- All applicants must take the TOEFL to be considered for admission.
- Accept Internet Based TOEFL (iBT) scores only
- Must submit original TOEFL score report directly to program (not to ADEA CAAPID)
- A minimum score of 100 on the iBT
National Board Dental Examination Requirements
- Program required passage of Part I & II of the NBDE to be considered for admission. Both exams are mandatory.
- Must submit original NBDE I & II results directly from the ADA to Columbia Admissions Office at: email@example.com
- Candidate copies are not accepted.
Letter of Evaluation
- Letters of recommendation from one faculty member and the academic dean of the original dental school, as well as one post-doctoral reference, if applicable.
- Applicants must provide Letters of Evaluation, sent directly to ADEA CAAPID.
Transcripts and Evaluations
- Transcript evaluation- Columbia University College of Dental Medicine requires Advanced Standing applicants to the D.D.S. program to provide official evaluation of all documents from foreign institutions that are presented as part of the application process. Applicants must submit to ADEA CAAPID a detailed evaluation by either ECE or WES.
- A non-refundable check or money order (from a U.S. bank) in the amount of $100, made payable to Columbia University. Make sure your name and CAAPID number is clearly legible on the check so we can match it up to your application. Credit cards are not accepted at this time.
Advanced Standing Program
630 West 168 Street, PH7 West 318
New York, NY 10032
Other Things to Consider
Licensure requires 6 years of education prior to the Advanced Standing program
(1 year pre-professional, 5 year professional): www.op.nysed.gov/prof/dent/dentlic.htm
- Bench test will be administered at the time of interview;
interviews are by invitation only
- During your first semester, drug testing will be
required (as is required of all Clinical students at CUMC)
- After acceptance, deposit of $5,000 will be required
Ms. Diana Lugo
Tuition and Fees
Information on the cost for the Advanced Standing
Program as well as information regarding financial aid, can be found at: Tuition, Fees, and Financial Aid