Columbia University College of Dental Medicine
Description of Program
The Columbia University College of Dental Medicine (Columbia CDM) Advanced Standing Program (ASP) is designed for graduates of a recognized foreign dental school who want to practice dentistry in the United States. The two-and-a-half year, full-time program accredited by the Commission on Dental Accreditation (CODA) leads to the Doctor of Dental Surgery (D.D.S.) degree.
Please submit your application through
Ms. Diana Lugo
Columbia University, College of Dental Medicine
Admissions and Student Affairs
630 West 168 Street, PH 7 West
New York, NY, 10032
Length of Program: 30 months
Program Deadline: June 1, 2020
Start Date: January 2, 2021
Class Size: 15
Degree Awarded: D.D.S.
Requirements to Apply to Program
Preference will be given to those applicants who are U.S. Citizens or U.S. Permanent Residents and graduated from a recognized foreign dental school.
English Language Proficiency
- Must be proficient in the English language.
- All applicants must take the Test of English as a Foreign Language (TOEFL) to be considered for admission.
- Accept Internet-based TOEFL (iBT) scores only.
- Must submit original TOEFL score report directly to program (not to ADEA CAAPID).
- A minimum score of 100 on the iBT.
National Board Dental Examination Requirements
- Program requires passage of Parts I and II of the National Board Dental Examination (NBDE) to be considered for admission. Both exams are mandatory.
- Must submit original NBDE I & II results directly from the American Dental Association to Columbia Admissions Office at firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Candidate copies are not accepted.
- Advanced Dental Admission Test (ADAT) is accepted but not required.
Letter of Evaluation
- Letters of recommendation from one faculty member and the academic dean of the original dental school, as well as one postdoctoral reference, if applicable.
- Applicants must provide letters of evaluation directly to
Transcripts and Evaluations
- Transcript evaluation—Columbia University College of Dental Medicine (Columbia CDM) requires Advanced Standing applicants to the D.D.S. program to provide official evaluation of all documents from foreign institutions that are presented as part of the application process. Applicants must submit to
ADEA CAAPID a detailed evaluation by either ECE. (We do not accept WES.)
Other Things to Consider
New York State Licensure requires 6 years of education prior to the Advanced Standing program (1 year pre-professional, 5 years professional).
- In addition to the supplemental fee of $100, there may be a supplemental application.
- Upon acceptance, you may be subject to a background check with Certiphi screening.
- At the time of matriculation, drug testing will be required (as is required of all clinical students at Columbia CDM).
- Bench test will be administered at the time of interview; interviews are by invitation only.
- After acceptance, deposit of $5,000 will be required.
Ms. Diana Lugo
Tuition and Fees
Information on the cost for the Advanced Standing Program, as well as information regarding financial aid, can be found at
Tuition, Fees, and Financial Aid.