Last updated: October 2021
www.adea.org (the Site), ADEA programs and services, other websites that link to this policy (also referred to as the Site), web-based applications and surveys. Please note that some other ADEA websites may have unique privacy policies in which case they will link to
email@example.com or write us at ADEA, Attn: Web Services, 655 K Street, NW, Suite 800, Washington, DC 20001.
As part of ADEA’s efforts to better serve our members, we may collect certain information that identifies, or can be used to identify you specifically (“personal information”) to provide various product features. For example, we collect personal information in connection with ADEA GoDental®, ADEA weTeach®,
ADEA AADSAS®, ADEA CAAPID®, ADEA PASS®, ADEA DHCAS®, ADEA
Official Guide to Dental Schools, ADEA
Directory of Institutional Members and Association Officers (ADEA DIM), Journal of
Dental Education (JDE), dentalschoolexplorer.adea.org, the ADEA Advocacy website, as well as conference registrations (whether for in-person or virtual events), program or poster submissions, and any conference evaluations. This personal information is provided voluntarily by you when
you participate in a program or survey or register for or purchase a product or service available through ADEA, or when you otherwise communicate with us, including on our online community forums, such as ADEA Connect. This information may include, but is not limited to, the following:
- Contact information, such as name, postal address, phone number, email address, place of business, and professional titles. We collect this information, for example, when you subscribe to a newsletter or register for a conference.
- Background information, such as demographics, employment, memberships, affiliations, special interests, and education.
- Emergency and health
information, such as emergency contacts, dietary and health conditions. We collect such information as part of conference registrations to ensure compliance with the Americans with Disability Act.
- Purchase data, such as payment information required for purchases.
- Application data, such as institution name, contact information as listed above, usernames, DENTPIN, etc. as required to complete an online dental education or membership application.
- Political advocacy data, such as your congressional district and advocacy expertise.
- User-generated content, such as postings to online bulletin boards and online chat functions.
- Survey data, such as that collected through our annual faculty survey, website, annual session and ADEA Centralized Application Services (to name a few).
- Donor data, such as pledge and donor recognition information to support the ADEAGies Foundation, etc.
Once your credit card information, including the CVV number, has been passed to the credit card processing company for verification, we do not retain the full credit card number or CVV number. Only partial information is retained by ADEA for future identification of the transaction.
We employ reasonable security measures to protect your credit card information.
Automatically Collected Information Including Cookies
In addition, our web servers automatically collect and log web usage data from you when you visit the Site. This information includes your IP address, referring sites, pages viewed, and length of visit, and informs us about how visitors use and navigate the Site.
We and third parties may also collect cookie-based information across websites for purposes of website analytics and targeted advertising.
visit. If you do not want your browser to accept cookies, you can modify the cookie option in your browser’s settings. However, some website features or services may not function properly or be accessible without cookies.
We have implemented the following:
- Google Display Network Impression Reporting.
- Demographics and Interests Reporting.
- Integrated services that require Google Analytics to collect data.
Users can set preferences for how Google advertises to you using the
Google Ad Settings page. Alternatively, you can opt out of third party advertising cookies by visiting the
Network Advertising Initiative opt-out page and/or the Digital Advertising Alliance’s opt-out page. To opt-out of Google Analytics, you may use the
Google Analytics Opt Out Browser add on.
How we use the information
We may combine the personal information you provide ADEA with other information that is available to us, including information submitted by users to ADEA offline and information collected from other third parties. Except as described below, ADEA does not rent or sell your personal information to
unaffiliated third parties without your consent, but may use and share your information to, among other things:
- Provide the product, information, or service requested.
- Carry out an objective authorized by the user or otherwise disclosed to the user at the time the data are collected (e.g., we share applicant data with the dental school, dental hygiene, and/or advanced education programs designated by an applicant).
- Improve the content, navigation, and efficiency of the Site.
- Target, personalize, and develop our products and services to meet your individual interests and needs.
- Communicate with you (1) through legislative alerts and newsletters, (2) to respond to your inquiries, (3) to disseminate surveys and survey results, and (4) to market ADEA's products and services and make you aware of other ADEA benefits.
- Create email, Listserv, and other member lists to facilitate communication with and between our users.
- Analyze information about our users and programs.
We engage in these activities in furtherance of our contractual obligations to you or for precontractual measures, based on our legitimate interests in improving our processes and providing our services to you and others, or with your consent.
How we share the information
We may share your information:
- With a recipient you have designated for the information.
- With representatives of ADEA Institutional Members (e.g., to inform them of members that have joined from their schools or programs).
- With third-party suppliers and service providers to provide services on behalf of ADEA and to fulfill the products and services offered through our Site. We may make personal information available to them to the extent necessary for them to provide
services (e.g., to process a credit card payment, ship you a product). These third-party service providers include website hosting partners and other parties who assist us in operating our website, conducting our business, or serving our users. We contractually require these third parties to keep
this information confidential.
- With law enforcement, regulators, or other entities as required by valid legal processes, such as a search warrant, subpoena, or court order; or if we find that a user’s actions violate our policies; or to protect our rights and property.
In addition, we may use and share with others statistics or other aggregated or de-identified (not personally identifiable) information derived from information about you. This type of information includes, but is not limited to, information that we have collected based on web usage data,
surveys, or statistical information that we have compiled about our users.
We may also disclose your personal information in connection with any merger or consolidation with, or sale of assets to a third party.
If you would prefer not to receive marketing or other promotional communications from ADEA, please notify us of your preferences. Many of our products and services allow you to make these choices at the time you submit personal information and allow you to access your profile and change
your preferences online. You may also change your preferences regarding the types of communications you receive from ADEA by emailing us at
or, for ADEA members, logging into the ADEA site and clicking on the MyADEA link at the top to update your communications preferences.
Messages that you send to us by email may not be secure. We recommend that you do not send any confidential information to us by email. If you choose to send confidential information to us via email, you accept the risk that a third party may intercept this information.
The Site is not directed toward children under 13 years of age, nor do we knowingly collect information from children under the age of 13. If you are under 13, please do not submit personal information to us.
policies of those sites when you visit them. Nonetheless, we seek to provide helpful links and welcome any feedback about these sites.
Reviewing and correcting your
For several of our products and services (including online applications and Communities of Interest), you can access and update your personal information directly by logging into your online ADEA account, by calling us at 202-289-7201 or by sending an email to
firstname.lastname@example.org. We try to keep information about you accurate and current, but if you find errors or inaccuracies in your information, please let us know. To protect your privacy and security, we may take reasonable steps to verify your identity before we disclose or make any corrections to this
information. In certain jurisdictions, like if you are an individual in the European Economic Area, you have the right, subject to certain exceptions, to make additional requests, such as the right to request your information be deleted, the right to restrict processing,
and the right to portability. You can make these requests at the contact information provided above.
Your California Privacy Rights
If you reside in California and have provided your personal information to us, you may request information once per calendar year about our disclosures of certain categories of your personal information to third parties for their direct marketing purposes.
Such requests must be submitted to us in writing at the following - Attn: Membership, ADEA, 655 K Street, NW, Suite 800, Washington, DC 20001 or by email at
International Data Transfer
We are based in the United States and have members in the United States and Canada. Your personal information will be received and may otherwise be transferred to, stored, and processed in the United States or another country that may not provide the same level of protection for personal information as the laws of your home country, and may be available to the government of the United States or such other country under a lawful request or order made in those countries.
Where applicable, ADEA is considered the controller of the personal information we collect. You have the right to lodge a complaint with a supervisory authority concerning our processing of your personal data. However, it is our preference to first resolve any concerns you have
email@example.com at the contact information below.
Attn: Web Services
655 K Street, NW, Suite 800
Washington, DC 20001
© 2018 American Dental Education Association. All Rights Reserved.