Session Daily: Saturday, March 17
Welcome to the 2018 ADEA Annual Session &
This is the first issue of the Session
Daily for the ADEA Annual Session & Exhibition. The Session Daily is your one-stop source for program highlights, special events and general news about the ADEA Annual Session & Exhibition. Watch your inbox for a new issue of the Session Daily tomorrow, Monday and
Over the next four days, ADEA is offering a variety of informative and interactive educational sessions and workshops, and engaging
plenary sessions. Be sure to attend one or all of the three
Chair of the ADEA Board of Directors symposia. Additionally, you will have ample opportunity to network and socialize with peers and colleagues, including at events such as the Welcome Reception today from 5:30 – 6:30 p.m. in the Coquina Lawn. There’s so much to do and see, and we encourage
you to use the ADEA Live
mobile app (conference registration number required) and the online
program planner to navigate the meeting.
Exhibit Hall is open on Sunday and Monday, March 18–19. Visit more than 65 exhibitors and explore the ADEA TechExpo and poster presentations by faculty and students. We have limited programming during Exhibit Hall hours so you can take advantage of enhanced offerings in the Exhibit Hall and the scheduled networking
opportunities, including the Connect & Collaborate Lounge, a coffee break and lunches for attendees. Don’t forget to stop by the ADEA Showcase, booth 705:
- Learn more about ADEA membership and resources, including ADEA meetings and professional development opportunities, advocacy and government relations efforts, the ADEAGies Foundation® and ADEA publications—including the Journal of Dental Education (JDE) and ADEA Directory of Institutional Members and Association Officers.
- Have a question about the Journal of Dental
Education? Stop by JDE Office Hours to ask the editors in person! JDE Office Hours: Sunday, March 18, from 12:15 – 2:00 p.m., and Monday, March 19, from noon – 2:00 p.m. (Booth 705 in the Exhibit Hall.)
- Put your best face forward! Stop by the ADEA Showcase on Monday, March 19, between 10:00 a.m. – 3:00 p.m. for a FREE professional headshot. For quick tips on how to prepare for your headshot, follow these simple rules: it’s best to wear neutrals, stay away from patterns,
keep accessories simple, relax and smile!
- Elevate your voice! Grab that new digital headshot image and head over to the #ADEA2018 Social Media Lab, booth 701, to upgrade your social media presence. The Social Media Lab is your one-stop shop to improve your online impact. Learn to post/tweet through hands-on instruction, establish or build your social media
profile and discover new gadgets and platforms.
The Annual Session & Exhibition will end with the closing of the ADEA House of Delegates at 4:30 p.m. on Tuesday, March 20.
Again, welcome, and enjoy your time here in Orlando!
Leadership Institute Class of 2018 Graduates
Congratulations to the
ADEA Leadership Institute Class of 2018! The Commencement Reception was held Friday, March 16, at 6:00 p.m.
Tune In: #ADEA2018 Social
We’re future ready! The all-new ADEA Social Media Squad (SMS), comprised of ADEA Council of Students, Residents and Fellows members, is using social media to report Annual Session highlights in “real time.” The ADEA SMS is led by Hubert K. Chan, D.D.S., Assistant Dean for Clinical
Education/Associate Professor at the Western University of Health Sciences College of Dental Medicine.
ADEA Is The Voice of
Dental Education—Let’s Connect!
Select your social media channel of choice, whether Facebook, Twitter, Instagram or Snapchat, to share and discuss the “best of ADEA”! Our online dialogue will cover key issues facing the dental education community and the solutions of benefit to our profession, our students and
Connect with any ADEA
SMS member onsite at the Gaylord Palms Resort & Convention Center.
If you have an event highlight you want the ADEA SMS to share, tell them! ADEA SMS members are easily identifiable in branded shirts and rhinestone lanyards.
Monitor and engage with #ADEA2018 to join the dialogue. Together, let’s celebrate and discuss the future of academic dentistry.
Navigate the 2018 Annual Session & Exhibition with ADEA
Live—the official #ADEA2018
mobile app, powered by CadmiumCD. With ADEA Live you can:
- Stay organized with up-to-the minute exhibitor, speaker and event information.
- Build your schedule, take notes and download session presentations.
- Locate sessions and exhibitors with a comprehensive mobile map.
- Receive important, real-time information across all your devices.
- And, much much more!
Downloading the app is easy!
- For Apple iOS devices, search for “ADEA Live” in the Apple App Store.
- For Android devices, search for “ADEA Live” on Google Play.
Questions? Visit the #ADEA2018 Social Media Lab in the Exhibit Hall on Sunday and Monday, Booth 701.
Get Ready to Play ADEA Quest!
During Exhibit Hall Hours (Sunday, noon – 5:00 p.m. and Monday, 9:45 a.m. – 3:00 p.m.). play ADEA Quest—a FUN, interactive and informative game taking place during #ADEA2018. While onsite, open the Annual Session mobile app, select the “ADEA Quest” icon, visit with our exhibitors to
rack up points, and track your progress on the in-app Leaderboard. In keeping with this year’s VISION 2030 theme, attendees who accumulate 2,030 points will qualify for a chance to win fabulous
New This Year: Participate
in ADEA TouchPollTM Surveys
Take a minute to let ADEA hear your voice and be entered in a drawing to win prizes! Look for TouchPoll surveys (i.e., people with tablets) throughout the meeting and near Booth 705 in the Exhibit Hall. Survey questions change all the time, so participate often!
You will also be entered into drawings to win great prizes—such as Amazon Echo, Amazon Echo Dot, Tile Key Finder, and Apple AirPods—as well as a chance to win the Grand Prize!
Prizes will be drawn during the Exhibit Hall raffles (must be present to win):
- Sunday, March 18, 1:30 p.m.
- Monday, March 19, 1:00 p.m.
2018 ADEA Annual Session & Exhibition Grand Prize
- Sunday, March 18 at 1:30 p.m.
Our 2018 ADEA Annual Session & Exhibition grand prize winner will enjoy:
- One complimentary registration for the 2019 ADEA Annual Session & Exhibition in Chicago ($720 value).
- One roundtrip airfare to #ADEA2019 up to $500*.
- Three complimentary nights at the Hyatt Regency Chicago—the #ADEA2019 headquarters hotel.
*Booked via ADEA’s preferred travel provider. **Room and tax only, no incidentals.
Ask the Editors About
Publishing in the Journal of Dental
Stop by the ADEA Showcase, Booth 705 in Exhibit Hall E&F, during “JDE Office Hours” with your questions about publishing in the Journal of Dental
- Sunday, March 18, 12:15 – 1:15 p.m.—Dr. Nadeem Karimbux, JDE Editor
- Sunday, March 18, 1:00 – 2:00 p.m.—Dr. Lynn Whittaker, JDE Executive Managing Editor
- Monday, March 19, noon – 2:00 p.m.—Dr. Marita Inglehart, JDE Associate Editor
Learn How to be an Informed
The ADEA Advocacy and Government Relations team is hosting several educational sessions that you won’t want to miss:
Medicare Graduate Medical Education Update
Sunday, March 18, 10:30 a.m. – noon, Miami 3
This session features a recognized expert on dental graduate medical education who will provide an update on funding and proposed federal rules that may impact dental residency programs in nonhospital settings.
Health Care Reform Going Forward
March 19, 10:30 a.m. – noon, Naples 3
This session will analyze the various health reform proposals in Congress and their potential impacts on academic dentistry.
U.S. Supreme Court Update
Monday, March 19, 1:30 – 3:00 p.m., Naples 3
A U.S. Supreme Court expert will discuss how litigation related to the travel ban, free speech on campus, Deferred Action for Childhood Arrivals, and state action immunity will impact academic dentistry.
Don't Miss These Events!
8:00 – 11:00 a.m.:
ADEA Signature Series—Prescribing the Future of Digital Health, Osceola Ballroom C (Ticketed Event)
10:30 a.m. – 3:00 p.m.:
ADEA GoDental®Recruitment Event, Sun Ballroom A-D
Sponsored by Liaison International,
Inc. and The Procter & Gamble Company
4:30 – 5:30 p.m.:
Opening Session of the ADEA House of Delegates, Exhibit Hall D
5:30 – 6:30 p.m.:
ADEA Welcome Reception, Coquina Lawn
8:30 – 10:00 a.m.
Vision 2030: Human Scale Innovation, Exhibit Hall D
Awards Ceremony and Opening Plenary
10:30 a.m. – noon
ADEA Chair of the Board Symposium—
Vision 2030: Oral Health Education, Sun Ballroom D
Noon – 5:00 p.m.
Exhibit Hall Open, Exhibit Hall E&F
12:15 – 1:15 p.m.
Journal of Dental
Education Office Hours—Dr. Nadeem Karimbux, Editor, Exhibit Hall E&F, Booth 705
4:00 – 5:00 p.m.
We Want You! Reviewing Annual Session Program Submissions, Sun Ballroom D
5:30 – 6:30 p.m.
“In the Mix” Series: Inclusion, Excellence and Dental Education, Sun Ballroom B (Ticketed Event)
Prior to attending any sessions, you must check in at the registration area and pick up your badge and conference materials. The registration booth is located in the City Hall Lobby of the Gaylord Convention Center, and is open from 7:30 a.m. to 5:30 p.m. today.
Continuing Education Credits
Gain CE credits by evaluating the sessions you attend today using the mobile app or by logging into the
ADEA House of Delegates
Members of the
ADEA House of Delegates (ADEA HOD) can pick up their credentials today between 7:00 a.m. and 5:30 p.m. The ADEA HOD Booth is located in the City Hall Lobby of the Gaylord Convention Center. (If you’re arriving today, please be sure to pick up your registration materials first.)