ADEA/Sigma Phi Alpha Linda DeVore Scholarship
The American Dental Education Association (ADEA)/Sigma Phi Alpha Linda DeVore Scholarship recognizes the memory and the 30-year dental education career of Linda Rubinstein DeVore. Professor DeVore was active in dental hygiene education, scholarship and public service. She served as President of the American Association of Dental Schools (now ADEA) in 1994, and President of the Supreme Chapter of Sigma Phi Alpha, the national honorary society of the dental hygiene profession, from 1997–98.
A $1,000 scholarship is awarded to an individual pursuing allied dental education study at the baccalaureate, master’s or doctoral degree levels.
An applicant must:
- Be enrolled as a part- or full-time student in a course of study in dental hygiene, education or public health (baccalaureate, master’s, or doctoral degrees).
- Demonstrate a commitment to leadership in education or health care; examples include serving as an exemplary class officer or organizing a major class or schoolwide community service activity.
- Be in good academic standing in his or her program of study.
- Be an ADEA Individual Member.
Applications must be received by November 1, 2017.
Application Process Checklist
The following items must be submitted on or before November 1, 2017, using the ADEA online application process:
- Transcripts obtained from the candidate’s school registrar verifying academic standing.
- A personal statement providing details of personal qualities and leadership experiences.
- A letter of nomination from a faculty member addressing the candidate’s leadership qualities.
- A letter of support from the applicant’s dean, dental hygiene director or equivalent in an academic setting.
Contact Mr. Eric Lund, ADEA Professional Development Manager, at 202-289-7201 or
firstname.lastname@example.org with questions.
Notification Date and Award Announcement
Scholarship recipients and applicants not receiving awards will be notified by February 1, 2018. Awards will be announced at a ceremony during the 2018 ADEA Annual Session & Exhibition in Orlando, FL, March 17–20, 2018.
Ms. Nadia Kobagi, University of Alberta School of Dentistry
Prof. Wanda Cloet, Central Community College
Ms. Elizabeth Trujillo, Herman Ostrow School of Dentistry of the University of Southern California
Prof. Kimberly Bray, University of Missouri - Kansas City School of Dentistry
Ms. Sarah A. Moeller, University of Michigan School of Dentistry
Ms. Kendra A. Kleppe, Old Dominion University College of Health Sciences
Ms. Deborah K. Osborn, College of Southern Nevada
Ms. Marlaina Reich, Texas A&M University Baylor College of Dentistry
Ms. Shannon Ann Walker, Medical College of Georgia
Ms. Cherri L. Kading, University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill School of Dentistry
Ms. Cynthia Ann Stegeman, University of Cincinnati
Ms. Kelly Muhney, Texas A&M University Baylor College of Dentistry