ADEA Enid A. Neidle Scholar-in-Residence Program
This Scholar-in-Residence Program honors Enid A. Neidle, former President of ADEA (1985-86). Under her leadership, ADEA adopted its policy of promoting the advancement of women in dental education. The program offers a unique opportunity for a dental educator to concentrate on issues affecting women faculty.
The scholar receives a stipend up to $15,000 to pursue a cumulative two to three-month fellowship at the ADEA Office in Washington, DC. The scholar’s institution continues to provide salary and fringe benefits for the duration of the experience. While in Washington, DC, the scholar will gain a distinct perspective on issues facing women faculty, including promotion, advancement and tenure policies, entry and re-entry into the workforce, child care and elder care, women’s health, work patterns, advanced education and research opportunities and other gender-related issues. The scholar will be assigned to a senior ADEA staff member and will be involved in a range of ADEA activities in addition to her principal project. ADEA will be flexible in the arrangement of time away from the scholar’s institution.
An applicant must:
- Be full-time female faculty with a primary teaching appointment in a predoctoral or advanced dental educational program at an ADEA Member Institution (women junior dental and dental hygiene faculty members are encouraged to apply).
- Be an ADEA Individual Member.
All applications must be postmarked by November 1, 2016. Applications will be returned if they are either incomplete or postmarked after November 1, 2016.
Return applications to:
Enid A. Neidle Scholar-in-Residence Program for Women
Application Process Checklist
Attn: Dr. Denice Stewart
655 K Street NW, Suite 800
Washington, DC 20001
Submit TWO copies of the following documents by November 1, 2016:
- The completed
- A personal statement addressing the following questions:
- What are the applicant’s general interests and expectations for the ADEA residency experience?
- How will this experience help the applicant in her personal development?
- How will this experience help the applicant’s institution, ADEA, and its membership?
- A one-page summary that describes the proposed project (including project title).
- A letter of recommendation from the applicant’s dean specifying how the fellowship would benefit the institution and the applicant and agreeing to pay her salary and fringe benefits for the duration of the ADEA residency experience.
- A current curriculum vitae and a one-page summary highlighting experiences relevant to the program.
- A formal letter of support from an individual who will serve as a mentor and provide additional support to the applicant.
Please contact Dr. Denice Stewart at 202-289-7201, ext. 153, or
with any questions.
Notification Date and Award Announcement
Applicants for the Enid A. Neidle Scholar-in-Residence Program will receive a telephone interview in January, prior to the 2017 ADEA Annual Session & Exhibition, March 18–21, 2017 in Long Beach, CA.
Dr. M. Nathalia Garcia, Southern Illinois University School of Dental Medicine
M.S., D.D.S., M.A., Dalhousie University
Faculty of Dentistry
Dr. Rhonda Everett, University of Nevada Las Vegas School of Dental Medicine
Dr. Ethel Harris, Meharry Medical College School of Dentistry
Dr. Rosalia Rey, University of Florida
Dr. Elena Nazarova, University of Connecticut
Prof. Machelle Thompson, Meharry Medical College
Prof. Sandra Osborne, Howard University
Dr. Karin Quick, University of Minnesota
Dr. Yoly Gonzalez-Stucker, University at Buffalo
Dr. Georgia Dounis, University of Nevada, Las Vegas
Dr. Donna Grant-Mills, Howard University
Dr. Mildred McClain, University of Nevada, Las Vegas
Prof. R. Denise Howe, Columbia University
Dr. Wendy Hupp, Nova Southeastern University
Dr. Mary Lynn Froeschle, University of Nebraska Medical Center
Dr. Nina Markovic, University of Pittsburgh
Dr. Paula Nesbitt, Meharry Medical College
Dr. Emrey Moskowitz, Boston University
Dr. Vicky Evangelidis-Sakellson, Columbia University
Dr. Deborah Studen-Pavlovich, University of Pittsburgh
Dr. Susan Silverton, University of Pennsylvania
Dr. Linda Wells, Baylor College of Dentistry
Dr. Kerry Maguire, University of Colorado Denver