2014 ADEA/ADEA Council of Students, Residents, and Fellows/Colgate-Palmolive Co. Junior Faculty Award
The American Dental Education Association (ADEA), the ADEA Council of Students, Residents, and Fellows (ADEA COSRF), and Colgate-Palmolive Co. wish to recognize outstanding junior faculty who demonstrate excellence in teaching, research, and service and a commitment to dental education. Junior faculty represent a unique group of educators who symbolize the future of dental education. Often, the contributions made by these faculty go unnoticed, influencing faculty retention. It is anticipated that this award will acknowledge the accomplishments of junior faculty and promote awareness of the needs of this distinct group of educators.
The recipient will receive a $2,500 award to be used to enhance his or her teaching, research, and service efforts. The stipend will also be used for travel to the 2014 ADEA Annual Session & Exhibition in San Antonio, Texas, March 15-18, 2014. The recipient of the award is expected to share his or her expertise with ADEA members during an appropriate venue at a future ADEA Annual Session & Exhibition.
Eligibility and Requirements
Applicants are to be initially identified and recognized within individual institutions or programs of dental education. Ideally, identification and recognition of candidates will be coordinated by the ADEA Council of Students, Residents, and Fellows (ADEA COSRF) representative in conjunction with the Dean or Director of the institution. It is recommended that the institution either establish a Junior Faculty Award nomination review committee (composed of the ADEA COSRF representative(s), ADEA Council of Faculties or Council of Allied Dental Program Directors representative, and the Dean) or convene an existing committee that includes a student representative. The final selection will be made by a national committee comprised of representatives from ADEA COSRF, the ADEA Council of Faculties, and the ADEA Council of Deans, as well as an officer of the ADEA Board of Directors and the ADEA President and CEO (ex officio).
An applicant must:
- demonstrate excellence in teaching, research, and service
- have held a full-time predoctoral or postdoctoral faculty appointment at an ADEA Member Institution for no more than five years
- have no more than five years of experience in academia
- be an ADEA Individual Member
Application Process Checklist
Submit SIX copies of the following on or before December 6, 2013:
- the completed ADEA Awards, Scholarships, and Fellowships Application form
- a letter of nomination from the ADEA COSRF representative of the institution detailing the applicant's contribution to teaching, research, and service
- a letter of nomination from the chair of the institution's Junior Faculty Award nomination committee (or existing committee that includes a student representative), clearly identifying the individual as committee chair
- a personal statement from the applicant describing his or her philosophy of teaching, research, and service; his or her contributions to the tripartite mission of dental school; and how the award will be used to improve methods
- a curriculum vitae
- the signature of the Dean on the application
Incomplete applications will not be reviewed.
Return applications to:
ADEA/ADEA Council of Students, Residents, and Fellows/Colgate-Palmolive Junior Faculty Award
ADEA Access, Diversity, and Inclusion, Policy Center
Attn: Sonja Harrison
1400 K Street NW
Washington, DC 20005
All applications must be postmarked no later than December 6, 2013. Applications will be returned if they are either incomplete or postmarked after December 6, 2013.
Please contact Sonja Harrison at 202-289-7201, ext. 167, or firstname.lastname@example.org with any questions.
Notification Date and Award Announcement
The award recipient will be notified on or before February 7, 2014. A cash award and commemorative certificate will be presented to the award recipient at the 2014 ADEA Annual Session & Exhibition in San Antonio, Texas, March 15-18, 2014.
Dr. Jompobe Vuthiganon, Medical University of South Carolina
Dr. Sophia Saeed, University of California, San Francisco
Dr. Berna Saglik, University of Michigan
Dr. Natasha Flake, University of Washington
Dr. Lee Warren Boushell, University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill
Dr. Paul S. Tiwana, University of Louisville
Dr. Sharon Lanning, Virginia Commonwealth University
Dr. Susan Hyde, University of California, San Francisco
Dr. Swee-Chian Tan, University of Iowa
Dr. Andres Pinto, University of Pennsylvania