ADEA/ADEAGies Foundation Education Fellowship
Through the generosity of the ADEAGies Foundation, funds are available to support this unique learning experience in Washington, DC. This fellowship is designed to familiarize dental educators with a broad range of timely educational issues facing dental education.
The fellow receives a stipend of up to $15,000 to pursue up to a cumulative three-month experience at the ADEA office in Washington, DC. The amount of time the fellow will actually spend at ADEA in person varies per consultation with the fellow’s ADEA mentor. The fellow’s institution continues to provide salary support for the duration of the experience. While in Washington, DC, the fellow will work with ADEA staff on issues such as:
- Faculty recruitment, development and retention.
- Leadership development.
- Teaching strategies.
- Competencies and their assessment.
- Accreditation and licensure.
The fellow’s interests and talents will be considered when assigning projects and responsibilities. ADEA will be flexible in the arrangement of time away from the fellow’s institution.
An applicant must:
- Have at least five years of experience as a dental educator.
- Be a full-time dental educator or administrator at an ADEA Member Institution.
- Be an ADEA Individual Member.
The following items must be submitted by November 1, 2018, using the ADEA online application process:
- A letter of recommendation from the applicant’s dean or program director specifying how the fellowship would benefit dental education and the applicant and agreeing to pay his or her salary and fringe benefits for the duration of the fellowship.
- Two letters of reference from professional colleagues.
- A current curriculum vitae with a summary describing experiences relevant to the fellowship.
- A personal statement describing how the fellowship would benefit dental education and outlining the kind of experience the applicant anticipates as a fellow.
The online application process will open during the week of August 20 or August 27. A link to the application site will be provided on this page at that time.
Notification Date and Award Announcement
Scholarship recipients and applicants not receiving awards will be notified on or before February 1, 2019. Awards will be announced at a ceremony during the 2019 ADEA Annual Session & Exhibition in Chicago, IL, March 16–19, 2019.
Contact Mr. Eric Lund, ADEA Professional Development Manager, at 202-513-1188 or
Dr. Anita Joy, Southern Illinois University School of Dental Medicine
Dr. Joan Davis, Southern Illinois University Carbondale
Dr. HsingChi von Bergmann, University of British Columbia Faculty of Dentistry
Dr. John Reinhardt, University of Nebraska Medical Center College of Dentistry
Dr. Cortino Sukotjo, University of Illinois at Chicago College of Dentistry
Dr. Lavern J. Holyfield, Texas A&M University Baylor College of Dentistry
Dr. Elise S. Eisenberg, New York University College of Dentistry
Dr. Marilyn S. Lantz, University of Michigan School of Dentistry
Dr. Maureen McAndrew, New York University College of Dentistry
Dr. Karen F. Novak, University of Kentucky College of Dentistry
Dr. Cynthia Gadbury-Amyot, University of Missouri -Kansas City School of Dentistry
Dr. Melanie Peterson, University of Louisville School of Dentistry
Dr. Jed Hand, University of Iowa College of Dentistry
Dr. Richard Ranney, University of Maryland School of Dentistry
Prof. Nancy Zinser, Palm Beach Community College
Dr. Larry Breeding, University of Mississippi Medical Center School of Dentistry
Dr. Diarmund Shanley, Trinity College, Ireland
Dr. John W. Killip, University of Missouri-Kansas City School of Dentistry
Dr. Phyllis L. Beemsterboer, University of California, Los Angeles, School of Dentistry
Dr. Ronald J. Hunt, University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill School of Dentistry
Dr. William Davenport, Louisiana State University Health Sciences Center School of Dentistry