How to Identify Coursework

Report ALL coursework completed at U.S., U.S. overseas, and Canadian institutions exactly as it appears on your transcript(s).

Include information and corresponding grades for every course you have ever taken at any U.S. U.S. overseas or Canadian institution, regardless of whether credit was earned. All courses that appear on your transcripts and for which a grade and/or credit were ever assigned will be included in the ADEA AADSAS GPA calculations, even if they are not included in the GPA calculations of the transcript-issuing school. This includes, but is not limited to:

  • Courses that have been repeated. Both grades from repeated courses are used in calculating the ADEA AADSAS GPA, even if this is not the policy of your college/university.
  • Courses that you failed, regardless of whether they have been repeated.
  • Courses you took in high school for college credit that appear on a college transcript. Do not send high school transcripts to ADEA AADSAS.
  • Courses taken for credit at American colleges overseas (i.e.Study Abroad).

Use a personal copy of your transcripts to enter ALL of your college coursework attempted and earned (do not attempt to do this from memory). Enter courses chronologically, beginning with the oldest transcript to most recent. List all courses from a single transcript before you enter courses from the next transcript. Enter each course once from the transcript where it was originally taken,even if the credits transferred to another institution.

ADEA AADSAS verifies your self-reported courses against your official transcripts and will report any discrepancies to your selected dental institutions. ADEA AADSAS does not enter courses for you. ADEA AADSAS will contact you and return your application for corrections or explanations if it identifies a significant number of course discrepancies or omissions. Failure to properly enter all course information and to make corrections as requested may result in processing delays and you may jeopardize your chances for admission.


Course Subject
Use your best judgment to classify your courses as English, Biology, Chemistry, Physics, Other Science (Sciences other than biology-chemistry-physics), or Non Science. Use these examples as guidelines.


Distinguishing coursework completed outside of the U.S./Canada

Study Abroad
List all Study Abroad courses that appear on a U.S. or Canadian transcript in English with itemized grades and credit hours in this "Coursework" section. For each Study Abroad course, select the name of the U.S. or English-speaking Canadian institution in which the Study Abroad credit and grades appear. If the U.S. or Canadian transcript does not itemize the grades and/or credits for study abroad, follow policies for international (foreign) coursework below.


International (Foreign) Institution
If you attended an international (foreign) institution (non-English speaking) enter the coursework exactly as it appears on your transcript. Do not enter any corresponding grades. Courses completed outside of a U.S. institution (Overseas U.S Institution coursework is verified in the same manner as U.S coursework) will not be verified by the Transcript Processing Department. All foreign transcripts will be photocopied and forwarded to your designated dental schools. All foreign applicants are encouraged to receive a transcript evaluation by an official credential agency.

*Applicants listing international coursework: Refer to instructions in this section for completing this section if you are listing coursework completed at a Non-US/Canadian institution.


Military Credit
Individuals in the U.S. Armed Services frequently receive credit for special courses that they have taken while in service. These courses are considered post-secondary, but do not appear on a college transcript. In other situations, information about these courses may be posted to something called a "SMART" transcript. SMART stands for Sailor/Marine American Council on Education Registry Transcript " official document colleges and universities can use to evaluate an applicant's experiences to determine if they want to award college credit. ADEA AADSAS does not consider these courses to be college courses and they should not be added to the application.


In certain situations, colleges/universities may award academic credit for these same military courses, or for experiences gained during military service. Such credit is usually considered "life experience credit" and is awarded as credit hours towards the completion of a degree. In situations such as this, the applicant should indicate the credit hours on the ADEA AADSAS application, under the college/university granting the credit. Only the credit hours actually awarded by the college/university should be included in the ADEA AADSAS application. If the applicant took other training while in the military, for which no academic credit was awarded by a college or university, that information should be excluded entirely from the ADEA AADSAS application.


College Credits Earned in Military
Sometimes, individuals in the U.S. Armed Services receive academic credit for courses complete while serving. In such cases,the individual is officially enrolled in a college/university, such as, for example Community College of the Air Force or the University of Maryland, which has an extensive network of branch campuses for the military. In those situations, the courses are treated as regular college courses and coursework is entered under those specific colleges/universities

To begin adding coursework, select "Add New Session" in the Coursework section of your ADEA AADSAS application:


Select from the list of institutions from the drop-down menu. You will notice that the options include all the colleges and universities you listed in the Colleges Attended section.

Academic Status
Indicate if this session was completed for credit as an Undergraduate, Graduate, Post BA/BS Undergraduate, or Professional course of study from the drop-down menu.

Indicate when the term occurred: Fall, Spring, Summer I, Summer II,Winter, or Interim term, from the drop-down menu.

Session Status
Select "Planned/In Progress" or "Completed"

Term Type
Indicate if the session was completed in a quarter, semester,trimester or unit credits from the drop-down menu.

Select the year in which this session was completed from the drop-down menu.