Learn more about summer Enrichment Programs.
Learn more about the Summer Medical and
Dental Education Program (SMDEP).
The Summer Medical and Dental Education Program
(SMDEP) is a free six week summer academic
enrichment program for college freshman and sophomore students who
are interested in a career in medicine or dentistry. The program is
funded by the Robert Wood Johnson Foundation with direction and
technical assistance provided by the AAMC and the American Dental
SMDEP is implemented at the following 12
program sites across the nation.
- Case Western Reserve University Schools of Medicine and Dental
- Columbia University College of Physicians and Surgeons and
College of Dental Medicine
- David Geffen School of Medicine at UCLA and UCLA School of
- Duke University School of Medicine
- Howard University Colleges of Arts and Sciences, Dentistry, and
- The University of Texas Dental Branch and Medical School at
- UMDNJ-New Jersey Medical and New Jersey Dental Schools
- University of Louisville Schools of Medicine and Dentistry
- University of Nebraska Medical Center, College of Medicine and
- University of Virginia School of Medicine
- University of Washington Schools of Medicine and Dentistry
- Yale University School of Medicine.
Each program site provides scholars with academic enrichment in
the basic sciences and math, clinical experiences, career
development activities, learning and study skills seminars, and a
financial planning workshop. The goal of the program is to prepare
aspiring freshman and sophomores to become competitive applicants
to medical and dental school.
For additional information and to access the online application,
Additional information is in the ADEA book Opportunities for
Minority Students in United States Dental Schools.Shop online.