Access, Diversity, and Inclusion
The Access, Diversity, and Inclusion (ADI) Portfolio is an integral part of the ADEA Policy Center. The ADEA Policy Center integrates the association’s educational research, access and diversity programming, and public policy advocacy activities to better address contemporary issues facing dental education and the oral health needs of the public.
These priorities include:
- Educational access and health care advocacy for diverse and underserved communities
- Access, diversity, and inclusion goals that are compatible to broad institutional mission
- Robust, diverse learning environments
- Holistic admissions practices
- A broader diversity agenda that goes beyond race/ethnicity
- Strong strategic messaging in the higher education "space," through diversity recruitment, and cultural competency
Previously, under the leadership of Dr. Jeanne Sinkford, the ADEA Center for Equity and Diversity (CED) was established in 1998. Since its inception, the Center has developed a strong infrastructure to accomplish many diversity goals, which include: receiving grants totaling more than $22 million; establishing strong collaborations with associations and organizations; and providing extensive support to programs, conferences, and research to increase diversity in dental education. The center’s activities were informed and guided by the The Women's Affairs Advisory Committee and the Minority Affairs Advisory Committee.