ADEA/AAL Faculty of Color Tuition Scholarships for Professional Development
ADEA/AAL Compass Program for Academic Advancement
September 17–19, 2014
The American Dental Education Association (ADEA) and AAL, with support from the ADEAGies Foundation, announce the ADEA/AAL Faculty of Color Tuition Scholarships for Professional Development: ADEA/AAL Compass Program for Academic Advancement. These scholarships support professional development activities for faculty of color in dental education, including allied dental education, in the early to middle stages of their careers.
The ADEA/AAL Faculty of Color Tuition Scholarships for Professional Development: ADEA/AAL Compass Program for Academic Advancement were created to enable faculty of color to participate in programs that will improve their teaching abilities, increase their leadership skills and advance their understanding and mastery of other critical elements of a successful academic career.
Eight $795 tuition scholarships will be awarded in 2014 to support the participation of African-American, Latino/Latina or American Indian dental educators, including allied dental educators, in the ADEA/AAL Compass Program. This program is designed to provide early- and mid-career faculty with guidance and understanding about the academic skills they need to develop outside the classroom and clinic to succeed within the culture of higher education. Four primary topics—conducting educational research, writing grant applications, publishing articles and reports, and career development—comprise the three-day curriculum, which is designed to help faculty build their academic portfolios and gain abilities in areas not usually covered by other professional development courses. Scholarship recipients, or their institutions, will be responsible for lodging and transportation expenses associated with participating in the program held in Atlanta, GA.
An applicant must:
- Agree to the terms of scholarship, which include:
- Participation in the program’s entirety.
- Completion of a post-program report within 90 days of program completion, to be submitted to the ADEAGies Foundation, describing the impact of the scholarship on his or her professional development. Where possible, the applicant may be asked to participate in a video testimonial of the scholarship’s impact on his or her professional development. Portions of the report and video may be used for ADEA and AAL promotional purposes.
- Be nominated by the dean of his or her dental school or program director of his or her allied dental education program. No more than two nominations per school per program tuition scholarship are permitted.
- Be a full- or part-time educator or administrator at an ADEA Member Institution.
- Be an ADEA Individual Member.
All applications must be received on or before November 1, 2013.
Application Process Checklist
Using the ADEA online awards application process, applicants must submit the following on or before November 1, 2013:
- A completed ADEA/AAL Faculty of Color Tuition Scholarships for Professional Development application form including a personal statement describing the applicant’s strengths and weaknesses as a faculty member and a summary describing any previous professional development he or she has experienced,
- One letter of recommendation from a colleague stating why the applicant should be considered for the tuition scholarship, and
- One letter of nomination from the dean of the applicant’s dental school or the program director of his or her allied dental education program, stating how the applicant’s participation will benefit the applicant and institution.
The application must be signed by the dean of the applicant’s dental school or the program director of his or her allied dental education program.
Receipt of entries cannot be acknowledged. Incomplete applications or late submissions will not be considered.
Contact AAL Vice President George Weinstein at 678-927-9670 or email@example.com with questions.
Notification Date and Award Announcement
Scholarship recipients and applicants not receiving awards will be notified on or before February 1, 2014. Awards will be announced at a ceremony during the 2014 ADEA Annual Session & Exhibition in San Antonio, TX, March 15–18, 2014.