2014 ADEA/TheraBreath Student Research Fellowships
The American Dental Education Association (ADEA) and Dr. Harold J. Katz, LLC, are sponsoring the ADEA/Therabreath Student Research Fellowships. There are four scholarships for dental students and dental hygiene students. Each of the four research fellowships has a stipend of $2,500 to be paid to the student’s dental or dental hygiene school, and to be used by each school to support the student’s basic science or clinical research project in the areas of xerostomia and/or halitosis.
The school of each student research fellow will receive $2,500 to support the student’s research in xerostomia and/or halitosis for a period of up to 12 months and cover expenses associated with presenting findings at the 2015 ADEA Annual Session & Exhibition.
Four $2,500 fellowships will be awarded in calendar year 2014. Awardees may be eligible to receive an additional year of funding, depending on the outcome of their initial year of research.
An applicant must:
- be an ADEA Student Member
- be enrolled full-time in any level of the dental or dental hygiene school, and must have a faculty sponsor (or sponsors) of his or her research
- possess a superior academic record
- demonstrate interest in and submit a proposal for basic or clinical research in xerostomia and/or halitosis
- agree to present the findings of his/her research at the conclusion of the fellowship in the form of a poster presentation or educational session at the 2015 ADEA Annual Session and Exhibition in Boston, MA
All applications must be received on or before November 1, 2013.
Application Process Checklist
Using the ADEA online application process, applicants must submit the following on or before November 1, 2013:
- an abstract describing the intended research project and protocol
- one letter of recommendation from the applicant’s faculty research sponsor indicating the commitment to ensure completion of the proposed research project within a maximum of 12 months
- one letter of nomination from the dean of the applicant’s dental school or the program director of his or her allied dental education program, stating how the applicant’s participation will benefit the applicant and institution
- official transcripts verifying the applicant’s academic standing
The application must be signed by the dean of the applicant’s dental school or the program director of his or her allied dental education program.
Receipt of entries cannot be acknowledged. Incomplete applications or late submissions will not be considered.
Contact Mr. Eric Lund, ADEA Professional Development Manager, at 202-289-7201 or email@example.com with any questions.
Notification Date and Award Announcement
Scholarship recipients and applicants not receiving awards will be notified on or before February 1, 2014, and will be announced during the 2014 ADEA Annual Session & Exhibition in San Antonio, Texas, March 15-18, 2014.
The research fellowship payment will be sent to each recipient’s school no later than April 1, 2014, but the student may begin his/her research as soon as he or she is notified of the award in February 2014.