Criminal Background Check
Criminal Background Checks (Certiphi Screening Inc.)
- What is the Centralized Criminal Background Check (CBC) Service?
- Which schools are participating in the Centralized Criminal Background Check Service?
- If I am accepted to both a school participating in the CBC program and a non-participating school, what communication should I expect from Certiphi Screening?
- What is the cost of the Centralized Criminal Background Check Service?
- If I designate a school NOT participating in the CBC program, do I have to have a criminal background check?
- What does the background check include?
- What is the background check process?
- Who should I contact for more information about the Centralized Criminal Background Check (CBC) Service?
Q: What is the Centralized Criminal Background Check (CBC) Service?
A: The American Dental Education Association (ADEA) CAAPID is implementing a new service for dental schools that wish to obtain a criminal background check on all admitted students. Individuals who are extended offers of admission to participating dental schools will be contacted by Certiphi® Screening Inc. after the admissions offers has been made to conduct a background check.
Q. If I am accepted to both a school participating in the CBC program and a non-participating school, what communication should I expect from Certiphi Screening?
A: Certiphi Screening sends each accepted student three e-mails regarding the criminal background check: the first e-mail is sent as soon as we are notified of your acceptance by ADEA CAAPID; if you have not logged into our system and authorized the background check after 10 days, you receive a second e-mail reminding you to do so; and if you still have not logged in after 20 days, a third e-mail reminder is sent. If you opt to attend a non-participating school, please disregard all three e-mails, as they apply only to students accepted to participating ADEA CAAPID schools.
Q: What is the cost of the Centralized Criminal Background Check Service?
A: The applicant accrues the cost for CBC at the time of request, Certiphi® will pre-authorize your credit card for a "not to exceed" amount of $200 ($300 for New York residents due to access fees charged by the state).At the time the report is delivered, the pre-authorized funds will be released immediately with a final total billed to the credit card. Certiphi will notify you of final charges on the report delivery page of www.ApplicationStation.com.
Q: If I designate a school NOT participating in the CBC program, do I have to have a criminal background check?
A: Dental schools not participating in our new service may also require applicants to undergo a separate national background check process. Contact your designated dental schools directly for specific policies.
Q: What does the background check include?
A: Below is a list of criminal searches to be facilitated by ADEA and conducted by ADEA selected vendor,Certiphi® Screening Inc.
- Social Security Number Verification A service helps verify the applicant's identity by confirming whether the applicant's Social Security Number matches his/her name, address and Social Security Number data obtained through one of the three major credit bureaus.
- County Criminal Records Searches A direct search of county felony or misdemeanor records, directly through the courthouse. All records are verified to help ensure positive identification and complete, easy-to-read details.
- Statewide Criminal Records Search A statewide search conducted through criminal records repositories or court systems for any felony or misdemeanors criminal history.
- Federal Criminal Record Search A direct search of federal courthouse for any felony or misdemeanor criminal history. All records are researched to help ensure positive identification and complete, easy-to-read details.
- National Criminal Database Search This search is instant, multi-jurisdiction private database search covering more than 194 million criminal records collected from across the country.
- National Sex Offender Database Search A search of a national private database which contains sex offender data collected from across the country. All records are researched to help ensure positive identification.
- Department of Health and Human Services Offices ofInspector General (OIG)Medicare/Medicaid Sanctions/Fraud Database A search of the U.S. Department of Health and Human Services Office of inspector General List of Excluded Individuals/Entities (LEIE), a database which provides information to the public. Health care providers, patients, and other relating parties excluded from participation in the Medicare, Medicaid, and all Federal health care programs.
- Search for Type of U.S. Military Service Discharge A search through the National Archives and Records Center Military records are verified through interviews and the subject's former commander or by obtaining the applicantsDD-214 FORM. Verification generally includes subject's name, service number, rank, dates of service, awards and decorations, and place of entrance and separation.
- International Searches International criminal record searches are performed where applicable.
Q: What is the background check process?
A: Once accepted at a participating dental school, Certiphi® Screening, Inc. will send an email to the preferred email address entered in the ADEA CAAPID application. This email will provide you with access to a secure online form which you will provide basic identifying information and consent for this report to be procured. Your consent will serve for all dental schools, and you will not be asked to provide consent upon receiving additional, conditional acceptance offers by participating dental schools.
Once you have provided consent Certiphi® Screening, Inc will procure a national background check on you. Once the report is complete, Certiphi® Screening Inc. will send an email to your preferred email address requesting that you review the report prior to its distribution. Upon reviewing this email:
- You will have (10) calendar days from the date this email is sent to review your report prior to this report being made available to the participating dental schools who request this report. If you do not review this report, the report will be distributed after this period elapses.
- You will be provided with an opportunity to contest the accuracy of the contents of the report within the specified ten (10) calendar day period.
Once you have reviewed and released this report, or after the specified ten (10) calendar day period has elapsed, the report procured on you will be made available to the participating dental school who offered an acceptance and initiated the request for this report.
- The report procured during this process will not be released to any party other than the dental schools requesting the report.
Q: Who should I contact for more information about the Centralized Criminal Background Check (CBC) Service?
A: If you have any questions about the Centralized Criminal Background Check, please contact:
Certiphi® Screening Inc.
Applicants inquiry only:
Phone: (800) 803-9582
8 am - 10 pm EST