2014 ADEA/Sigma Phi Alpha Linda DeVore Scholarship
The ADEA/Sigma Phi Alpha Linda DeVore Scholarship recognizes the memory and the 30-year dental education career of Linda Rubinstein DeVore. Professor DeVore was active in dental hygiene education, scholarship, and public service. She served as President of the American Association of Dental Schools (now the American Dental Education Association, ADEA) in 1994, and President of the Supreme Chapter of Sigma Phi Alpha, the national honorary society of the dental hygiene profession, in 1997-98.
A $1,000 scholarship is awarded to an individual pursuing allied dental education study at the baccalaureate, master’s, or doctoral degree level.
An applicant must:
- be enrolled as a part- or full-time student in a course of study in dental hygiene, education, or public health (baccalaureate, master’s, or doctoral degree)
- demonstrate a commitment to leadership in education or health care; examples include serving as an exemplary class officer or organizing a major class or schoolwide community service activity
- be in good academic standing in his or her program of study
- be an ADEA Individual Member
All applications must be received on or before November 1, 2013.
Application Process Checklist
Using the ADEA online application process, applicants must submit on or before November 1, 2013:
- official transcripts verifying academic standing
- a personal statement providing details of personal qualities and leadership experiences
- a letter of nomination from a faculty member addressing the candidate’s leadership qualities
- a letter of support from the applicant’s dean, dental hygiene director, or equivalent in an academic setting
The completed application must be signed by one of the following:
- dental school dean
- program director
- academic dean
- person with equivalent academic rank
Contact Mr. Eric Lund, ADEA Professional Development Manager, at 202-289-7201 or firstname.lastname@example.org with any questions.
Notification Date and Award Announcement
The recipient of the scholarship will be notified on or before February 1, 2014. The award will be announced in a ceremony during the 2014 ADEA Annual Session & Exhibition in San Antonio, Texas, March 15-18, 2014.
Ms. Sarah A. Moeller, University of Michigan
Ms. Kendra A. Kleppe, Old Dominion University College of Health Sciences
Ms. Deborah K. Osborn, College of Southern Nevada
Ms. Marlaina Reich, Baylor College of Dentistry
Ms. Shannon Ann Walker, Medical College of Georgia
Ms. Cherri L. Kading, University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill
Ms. Cynthia Ann Stegeman, University of Cincinnati
Ms. Kelly Muhney, Baylor College of Dentistry