ADEA Leadership Institute at a Glance
What is the ADEA Leadership Institute?
The ADEA Leadership Institute is a year-long program designed to develop the nation's most promising individuals at academic dental institutions to become future leaders in dental and higher education.
Who should apply to the ADEA Leadership Institute?
All who are ready to step up to leadership and want to:
- Gain decision making, priority setting, and conflict resolution skills - and the knowledge needed to use them effectively
- Expand their administrative competencies
- Understand the inner workings of a dental education institution - and how it fits into a parent institution
- Learn about policy issues affecting academic dentistry
- Speak as an advocate with national policy makers
- Strengthen relationships within their institution and nationwide
- Emerge with a plan for their career
When are the ADEA Leadership Institute Phases?
- Orientation: March 14, 2014, at the 2014 ADEA Annual Session & Exhibition, San Antonio, TX
- Phase I: Personal and Interpersonal Competencies for Leadership, June 17-21, 2014, Charles F. Knight Executive Education and Conference Center, St. Louis, MO
- Phase II: Legislative Workshop; September 6-9, 2014, Washington Court Hotel on Capitol Hill, Washington, DC
- Phase III: Administrative Competencies for Leadership, January 6-10, 2015, Emory Conference Center and Hotel, Atlanta, GA
- Phase IV: Integration; March 7-10, 2015, at the 2015 ADEA Annual Session & Exhibition, Boston, MA
What is the cost of the ADEA Leadership Institute?
Tuition and fees: $5,950. This amount includes:
- Resource books and other materials
- Speakers, consultants, and moderators in all phases and all locations
- Group events such as receptions, selected meals, registration for the ADEA Signature Series and Commencement
The nominating institution agrees to pay the Fellow's full salary and benefits during the fellowship year. The nominating institution is responsible for all travel and personal expenses associated with participation in the ADEA Leadership Institute, including airfare, ground transportation, lodging, and some meals.
Who are the instructors of the ADEA Leadership Institute?
The educators listed below have conducted learning activities at the ADEA Leadership Institute:
- N. Karl Haden, Ph.D.
- Judith E.N. Albino, Ph.D.
- Connie L. Drisko, D.D.S.
- David Johnsen, D.D.S., M.S.
- Yvonne Knight, J.D.
- Evelyn Lucas-Perry, D.D.S., M.P.H.
- Lonnie H. Norris, D.M.D., M.P.H.
- Michael J. Reed, B.D.S., Ph.D.
- Zachary A. Smith, Ph.D.
- Richard W. Valachovic, D.M.D., M.P.H.
- Pamela Zarkowski, J.D., M.P.H.
Who are the ADEA Leadership Institute sponsors?
The following organizations have provided support to the ADEA Leadership Institute:
- ADEAGies Foundation
- Alpha Omega Foundation
- American Association of Endodontists Foundation
- Colgate-Palmolive Co.
- Johnson & Johnson Consumer Healthcare Products, Division of McNEIL-PPC, Inc.
- National Dental Association
- The Procter & Gamble Company
- William J. Gies Foundation
Why should you apply to the ADEA Leadership Institute?
Fellows come to the ADEA Leadership Institute to prepare for expanded roles in their institutions and the profession. They emerge not only with the knowledge and skills, but also greater self-understanding and personal vision for their careers. Academic dental institutions and their deans and program directors also benefit from mentoring outstanding dental educators and contributing to their growth. The application process for the 2014-15 ADEA Leadership Institute will close on November 1, 2013. For information on how to apply, please visit the ADEA Leadership Institute Application page.