Advancing Educational Methods
Dates: Mar 24-Apr 26, 2017
Venue: 5 online evening sessions
Location: Learning module, Online
Online Registration is currently closed for this event.
truly appreciate this resource. Despite being an educator and program director
for over 15 years, I learned excellent methodologies and techniques to improve
my ability to provide the best education possible to my students. Interaction
with other educators in a discussion forum setting and receiving feedback from
those peers was invaluable!”
Feiwall, CDA, EFDA, EFDA Education Director, Case Western Reserve University
School of Dental Medicine
The ADEA/Colgate/AAL Institute for Allied Health Educators (IAHE) offers a convenient, collaborative and cutting-edge series of interactive online courses for full and part-time health educators and private practitioners embarking on a new career in academia.
This course is divided into 5 live online sessions on March 29, April 5, April 12, April 19 and April 26 from 8:00 p.m. to 9:30 p.m. Eastern Time.
The online orientation is March 24 from 8:00 p.m. – 9:00 p.m. Eastern Time.
The ADEA/Colgate/AAL IAHE series features courses divided into weekly, live evening sessions held online, with assignments before each live session. You will be invited to participate in online discussions between sessions with the instructors and your colleagues,
and you can submit questions to the instructors at any time during the program.
This course will cover:
- Learning Theories and Teaching Strategies in the Age of Technology: Explore theories of learning and how to incorporate appropriate technologies for enhancing teaching and the learning environment.
- Classroom Assessment: Describe current and emerging assessment methods used to assess competence in health professions students.
- Evidence-based Decision Making: Identify practices for determining valid, relevant and reliable evidence in teaching and learning.
- Critical Appraisal Skills for Critical Thinking: Recognize how critical appraisal skills facilitate active learning and promote outcome-directed thinking.
- Case-based Learning Strategies to Improve Student Outcomes: Explore strategies for implementing case-based learning into curricula for improving the way learners absorb, retain and transfer knowledge.
Every live presentation is recorded and archived, so even if you miss a broadcast, you can view the slides and hear the instructor's commentary and Q&A with participants at your convenience. All archived sessions, readings and assignments also will be available to you
for weeks after the program concludes, to give you maximum flexibility, convenience, and opportunity to learn.
Cynthia C. Amyot, M.S.,
Ed.D, Professor and Associate Dean, Instructional Technology and Faculty
Development, University of Missouri-Kansas City School of Dentistry
Marcia M. Ditmyer,
Ph.D., M.S., M.B.A., M.C.H.E.S., Assistant Dean of Assessment and
Instruction and Associate Professor, University of Nevada Las Vegas
Diana Macri, RDH, B.S.D.H.,
M.S.ED., AADH, Assistant Professor in the Dental Hygiene Unit of the Allied
Health Department at Hostos Community College
The cost of this program for an individual is $350. The registration deadline is March 24, 2017.
Participants can complete the assignments to earn 20 CE credits for each ADEA/Colgate/AAL IAHE course, or they can choose to audit, getting full access to the materials but without completing the work or receiving the CE credits. The tuition remains the same
whether the course is audited or taken for credit.
New in 2017, institutions can enroll multiple faculty members by selecting the tier that best fits its development needs:
- The Tier 1 Site License entitles the institution to a 20% discount on 5 to 15 participants.
- The Tier 2 Site License provides a 25% discount on 16 or more participants.
Institutions receive the discount when the following occurs:
- Notification of the intent to send multiple faculty is received in advance so AAL can provide the appropriate discount code.
- If the institution is paying, multiple attendees register at the same time indicating payment by the same institutional check, PO or credit card.
- If each participant is paying individually, multiple attendees register at the same time and the discount will be divided evenly between the participants.
- Alternatively, AAL alumni receive a $50 discount (cannot be combined with a tiered licensing discount).
To arrange for these discounts, please contact AAL Director of Professional Development Dr. Felicia
Tucker-Lively or call 404-350-2098.
The American Dental Education Association is an ADA CERP Recognized Provider. ADA CERP is a service of the American Dental Association to assist dental professionals in identifying quality providers of continuing dental education. ADA CERP does not approve or
endorse individual courses or instructors, nor does it imply acceptance of credit hours by boards of dentistry.
ADEA designates this activity for 20 continuing education credits. This continuing education activity has been planned and implemented in accordance with the standards of the ADA Continuing Education Recognition Program (ADA CERP) through joint efforts between American Dental Education Association (ADEA) and the Academy for Academic Leadership (AAL).
For Further Information:
Please visit AAL’s
website or contact AAL Director of Professional Development
Dr. Felicia Tucker-Lively.
Contact: Dr. Felicia Tucker-Lively