Fee Assistance Program
is the ADEA AADSAS® Fee Assistance Program (FAP)?
FAP is a program for dental school applicants with extreme financial need that helps pay the cost of the ADEA AADSAS application. An application is required and funds are limited.
FAP is an independent program offered by ADEA AADSAS and is not affiliated with any government, college or university, scholarship, grant, or fellowship program. Approval for fee assistance is at the sole discretion of ADEA AADSAS.
much money is provided by the FAP if I qualify?
For the 2017 application cycle, $441 will be provided to applicants who qualify. This amount will cover up to three dental school designations on your ADEA AADSAS application (the first school at $245 plus two additional schools at $98 each). Benefits
will expire if not used within 10 business days of notification of the award.
How can I apply?
The ADEA AADSAS Fee Assistance Program becomes available on June 1 after the opening of the ADEA AADSAS application cycle and will remain available until all funds are expended.
To apply for fee assistance, you must:
- Submit the “Fee Assistance Application” within ADEA AADSAS. (Do not print and mail the application.)
- Mail all FAP required documents to ADEA AADSAS FAP.
It is important to read all FAP instructions and policies carefully before completing the FAP application. Failing to thoroughly read policies and follow instructions could result in processing delays, missed deadlines and/or disqualification for the Fee Assistance
Applicants are encouraged to apply early to the Fee Assistance Program, which is awarded on a first-come, first-served basis, and well in advance of dental school deadlines. Applicants who submit an ADEA AADSAS application prior to receiving notification of approval for fee
assistance will be ineligible.
Eligibility to apply for FAP
To be eligible to apply for FAP:
- You, your spouse and your parents/guardians all must be U.S. Citizens or Permanent Residents (Green Card).
- You must complete and submit the electronic “Fee Assistance Program Application.”
- Your family’s total income must be 300% or less than the U.S. Poverty Guidelines level for your family size. Use the chart below to determine family eligibility for fee assistance.
ADEA AADSAS re-applicants approved in previous application cycles may be eligible to receive fee assistance through ADEA AADSAS for no more than two application cycles.
Poverty Guidelines in Annual
Income by Family Size
| Family Size||U.S. Poverty Guidelines||ADEA Poverty Guidelines|
|100% Poverty Guideline||300% Poverty Guideline|
| 1 || 11,880 || 35,640 |
| 2 || 16,020|| 48,060 |
| 3 || 20,160 || 60,4800 |
| 4 || 24,300 || 72,900 |
| 5 || 28,440 || 85,320 |
| 6 || 32,580 || 97,740 |
| 7 || 36,730 || 110,190 |
| 8 || 40,890 || 122,670 |
| 9 || 45,050 || 135,150 |
| 10 || 49,210 || 147,630 |
Required and supplemental documents
After you have completed and submitted the FAP application, it is your responsibility to mail copies of all required documents (please do not send originals) to FAP within 10 business days. You have only one opportunity to submit all required documents, and all
required documents must be received in one packet at one time. If you submit your documents without the proper documentation, including the coversheet, you will be denied for FAP. For questions, please contact
FAP packet must contain the following:
- FAP coversheet. (If it is absent, your application may be delayed or denied.)
- Copies of 2015 Federal tax returns (including the 1040 tax forms, W2s, W9Sor 1099s) from you, your spouse and your parents/guardians, or a letter of explanation if you are unable to submit all required documents. (Do not send originals.)
- Financial aid award letter.
Required tax returns are based on your dependency status and tax filing status.
- If you were 25 years old before Jan. 1, 1991, you are required to provide 1040 tax forms, W2s, W9s or 1099s for yourself and your spouse, if married.
- If you were or will be 25 years old on or after Jan. 1, 1991, you are required to provide 1040 tax forms, W2s, W9s or 1099s for yourself, your spouse (if applicable) and your parents/guardians, or a letter of explanation if you are unable to submit all required documents.
If you, your parent or spouse didn’t work during the 2015 tax year, and none of the required financial supporting documents (such as 1040 tax returns, W2s or 1099s) are available, you will have to show a source of income. To do so, complete the
Supporting Documents Verification Form or the
Financial Aid Verification Form. More information is provided below.
be advised: As with all aspects of the ADEA AADSAS application, it is expected that applicants for FAP will not misrepresent themselves. Reporting false information or submitting forged documents could result in the cancelation of the ADEA AADSAS application and notification sent to all dental schools. Be sure to
verify that all information and documents provided for the FAP application are valid and accurate.
Other supporting documentation
These documents may be requested to help determine eligibility for FAP if you do not have any of the tax forms or other required documents, or can be submitted to support your application. Documents must be accompanied by the
verification form and a letter from the appropriate agency.
- Child support payments: Payments made from one parent to another to cover monthly expenses for the child.
- Food stamp or public
assistance: Supplemental Nutrition Assistance Program.
- Proof of Social
Security/disability benefits: Monthly payments to retired workers, beneficiaries or disabled workers.
- Proof of veterans’ benefits: Programs and services provided by the Department of Veteran Affairs to veterans who are deceased, service members and their beneficiaries.
- Proof of workers’
compensation benefits: A form of insurance providing wage replacement and medical benefits to employees injured during the course of employment.
- Proof of housing, food and
other living allowances.
Application processing and status
ADEA AADSAS allows applicants 10 business days after they apply online to submit required documents to support their FAP request. Once the FAP required documents and coversheet are received, the standard processing time for an FAP application is 10 business days.
Applicants will be notified of a decision via email using the email account provided in the ADEA AADSAS application. Applicants may check their FAP application status and decision by logging into their ADEA AADSAS application and clicking on “status.”
who submit an ADEA AADSAS application prior to receiving notification of
approval for fee assistance will be ineligible.
steps after a decision has been made:
approved: You must complete the ADEA AADSAS application, designate three dental schools, select “Submit with FAP” as your payment type (do not select credit card) and submit the ADEA AADSAS application.
FAP participants are able to apply to additional dental schools ($98 each) after they have submitted the ADEA AADSAS application.
**Once an applicant is approved for fee assistance, s/he will have 10 business days to submit the ADEA AADSAS application to receive the fee waiver.**
denied: You must complete the ADEA AADSAS application through the standard process.