The majority of dental students possess a bachelor’s degree before they enter dental school. Some have graduate degrees. A few dental schools will admit a few students through early admissions programs with two to three years of undergraduate preparation. However, you should plan to earn your bachelor’s degree
before starting dental school.
At least 65 U.S. and 10 Canadian dental schools will be accepting applications to the first year of their Doctor of Dental Medicine (D.M.D.) or Doctor of Dental Surgery (D.D.S.) programs in 2015–16. The D.M.D. and the D.D.S. are equivalent degrees that are
awarded to dental students upon completion of the same types of programs.
Here are some other things you may want to consider as you
prepare for dental school:
- Confirm your passion for the profession.
- Do your homework. Research the profession, research various schools, etc.
- Understand the academic requirements for applying and acceptance.
- Develop a plan for shadowing.
- Review and consider other health professions.