Last Updated July 13, 2006
Information we collect
Although portions of the Site are available without registration, in order to take advantage of many of our Site's features, you will be asked to provide personal information. This personal information is provided voluntarily by the user in order to participate or register for a particular product or service available through ADEA, or when you otherwise communicate with us or the Site. We clearly identify data you must provide so we can deliver the services you request. This information may include, but is not limited to the following:
- contact information, such as name, postal address, phone number, and email address
- background information, such as demographics, employment, memberships, affiliations, special interests, and education
- purchase data, including payment information required for purchases
- application data required to complete an online dental education application
- political advocacy data and interests, such as your congressional district and advocacy expertise
- postings to online bulletin boards
- survey data collected through voluntary survey responses by users
In addition, our web servers automatically collect and log web usage data from you when you visit the Site. This information, including your IP address, referring sites, pages viewed, and length of visit, informs us about how visitors use and navigate the Site.
How we use and share the information collected
We may combine the personally identifiable information you provide ADEA with other information that is available to us, including information submitted by users to ADEA offline and information collected from other third parties. Subject to the terms below, ADEA does not rent or sell your personally identifiable information to unaffiliated third parties without your consent, but may use and share your information to, among other things:
- provide the product, information, or service requested
carry out an objective authorized by the user or otherwise disclosed to the user at the time the data is collected (e.g., We share applicant data with the dental school programs designated by an applicant)
- improve the content, navigation, and efficiency of the Site
- target, personalize, and develop our products and services to meet your individual interests and needs
communicate with you (1) through legislative alerts and newsletters, (2) to respond to your inquiries, (3) to disseminate surveys and survey results, and (4) to market ADEA's products and services and make you aware of other ADEA benefits
- create email, listserv, and other member lists to facilitate communication with and between our users
- inform representatives of ADEA Institutional Members of members from their school or program
- comply with valid legal process such as a search warrant, subpoena, or court order, if we find that a user's actions violate our policies, or to protect our rights and property
We may also use third party suppliers and service providers to provide services on behalf of ADEA and to fulfill the products and services offered through our Site. We may make personal information available to them to the extent necessary for them to provide services (e.g., to process a credit card payment or ship you a product).
If you would prefer not to receive marketing or other promotional communications from ADEA, please notify us of your preferences. A number of our products and services allow you make these choices at the time you submit information and allow you to access your profile and change your preferences online. You may also change your preferences regarding the types of communications you receive from ADEA by emailing us at firstname.lastname@example.org.
ADEA has implemented commercially reasonable technical, administrative, and physical security measures to protect your personally identifiable information from unauthorized access, modification, or use. We periodically review and update security measures in light of current technologies. Please note, that despite our efforts, no security measures are completely secure.
The Site is not directed towards children under 13 years of age, nor do we knowingly collect information from children under the age of 13. If you are under 13, please do not submit personally identifiable information to us.
Reviewing and correcting your information
For a number of our products and services (including online applications and Communities of Interest), you can access and update your personal information directly through your online account. We try to keep information about you accurate and current, but if you find errors or inaccuracies in your information, please let us know. To protect your privacy and security, we may take reasonable steps to verify your identity before we disclose or make any corrections to this information.
© 2006 American Dental Education Association. All Rights Reserved.
1400 K Street, NW
Washington, DC 20005