of Michigan School of Dentistry is recruiting a full time clinical track
faculty member at the clinical assistant /associate/professor level, to serve
as the Director of Predoctoral Clinical Education. This new position offers the
successful candidate the opportunity to bring together the preclinical and
clinical educational programs in innovative ways that enhance and optimize
clinical education and patient care in the DDS and dental hygiene programs. The
successful candidate must possess the academic credentials to support a faculty
appointment. The position requires a DDS/DMD degree, ten years of dental
practice experience; at least five years clinical teaching experience in a United
States or Canadian accredited dental school, preferably in a comprehensive care
setting; the ability to obtain a full or clinically limited academic license in
the state of Michigan; and the ability to practice dentistry. In addition, the
successful candidate will possess personal qualities and competencies that
include the ability to work in a highly collaborative institutional setting;
the ability to develop and implement educational and clinical programs and
processes that enhance patient-centered care, quality of care, and patient
safety; and outstanding supervisory skills and experience, preferably in a
dental setting. The successful applicant will have a commitment to clinical and
preclinical teaching as well as an interest in and commitment to providing
The position will offer the successful candidate the opportunity
to influence change at a high level and develop the competencies and expertise
required for higher-level administrative positions in US dental schools.
The Director of
Predoctoral Clinical Education reports to the Associate Dean for Patient
Services and closely consults with the Associate Dean for Academic Affairs. The
Director works closely with comprehensive care group leaders, patient care
coordinators, discipline coordinators and the patient admissions and assignment
staff to optimize patient care and student education. The Director of
Predoctoral Clinical Education ensures that the clinical education and patient
care programs function at a high level of efficiency and quality.
- Develop and implement innovative learning and
assessment programs that enhance patient centered care, provision of
quality care and patient safety in the clinics.
- Coordinate the clinical education of the pre-doctoral dental
and dental hygiene programs and assure their seamless integration with the
preclinical education programs.
- Enhance and coordinate the activities of four
comprehensive care clinic directors.
- Coordinate the activities of four Patient Care
Coordinators, the patient assignment clerk and the Director of Patient
Admissions and Emergency Services.
- Provide assistance and input to the Associate Dean for
Patient Services for enforcement of clinic policies and procedures.
- Evaluate patient outcomes, suggest improvements, and
assure that recommendations from the Quality Assurance Committee are
implemented and followed.
- Work with Dental Informatics staff to develop reports
and other feedback systems to improve student production, clinic
utilization and patient management.
- Opportunity to teach in clinic/pre-clinic up to four
half-days per week.
- Treat patiens one day per week in the School’s faculty
degree with 10 years experience
Five years of clinical teaching experience in a US or Canadian accredited dental school
- Able to multitask and work cooperatively with others.
- Ability to obtain a full or clinically limited academic license in the state of Michigan and practice clinical dentistry.
- Clinical administrative experience in a US or Canadian accredited dental school.
- Supervisory experience in a dental setting.
- Advanced educational training.
- Predoctoral teaching experience in a comprehensive care setting.
- Strong interdisplinary education skills.
candidate will be appointed at a rank commensurate with credentials and
should be directed to Sue Koehler (email@example.com). Applications will be
accepted and evaluated on an ongoing basis until the position is filled.
To apply, submit a cover letter, CV,
statement of interest, and list of three references: http://facultyrecruiting.dent.umich.edu (Director Predoctoral Clinical
University of Michigan is an Affirmative Action/EEOC employer