University of Pennsylvania School of Dental Medicine
Download a PDF of the ADEA CAAPID profile for the University of Pennsylvania School of Dental Medicine.
Description of Program
Program for Advanced Standing Students (PASS) is designed for graduates of
foreign dental schools who want to practice dentistry in the United States.
Most states require a degree from a dental school accredited by the American
Dental Association before granting licensure. The University of Pennsylvania
School of Dental Medicine offers a 30-month program that leads to a D.M.D. degree
to prepare non-U.S. trained dentists.
PASS students will join the second year class by participating in all ongoing
preclinical and laboratory courses. PASS
students will NOT be required to take any second year basic science courses but
instead will participate in an additional, specially designed preclinical
laboratory/seminar program. Following
the successful completion of the second year, students will be fully integrated
into the class where they take part in all academic and clinical experiences in
the third and fourth years of dental school.
Students participate in a modern health care delivery system which
simulates general practice. In addition,
they rotate through the specialty departments and work under the preceptorship
of master clinicians.
University of Pennsylvania
School of Dental Medicine
240 South 40th Street, Room 122
Philadelphia, PA 19104
Length of Program: 30 months
Program Deadline: June 1, 2017
Start Date: January 2018
Class Size: Approximately 25-30
Degree Awarded: D.M.D.
Requirements to apply to program
English Language Proficiency
- Must be proficient in the English language
- All applicants must take the TOEFL exam to be considered for admission; no exceptions.
- Must submit original TOEFL score directly to ADEA CAAPID prior to application deadline
- Score must be current within two years of the June 1 application deadline
National Board Dental Examination Requirements
- Program requires passage of Part I NBDE to be considered for admissions
To submit official Part
I NBDE results, the applicant should complete an online request at the ADA
Testing Services website which requires the applicant’s email address, the institution’s
email address (email@example.com)
and the name of the admission’s office recipient.
Advanced Dental Admissions Test (ADAT)
- Completion of the ADAT will not be considered during application review for admission to the program.
Letters of Evaluation
- Applicant must submit to ADEA CAAPID:
- Program requires one Letter of Evaluation from the dean or principal of dental school from which applicant graduated on official letterhead with signature and title
- Program requires one Letter of Evaluation from a faculty member from the dental school from which applicant graduated on official letterhead with signature and title
- Program requires one Letter of Evaluation from another faculty member, dental professional or work supervisor on official letterhead with signature and title. Letters
of evaluation from supervisors of work performed in the U.S. are highly encouraged.
Transcripts and Evaluations
- Applicant must submit to ADEA CAAPID a comprehensive course-by-course evaluation by ECE
- Send application fee to program (not to ADEA CAAPID) prior to the June 1 application deadline
- $75 personal check or money order payable to the Trustees of the Univ. of Pennsylvania
Other documents that should be sent to program (not to ADEA CAAPID) Prior to the June 1 Deadline
- Penn Dental Supplemental Application (interactive PDF) available for download at www.dental.upenn.edu.
- Essay responses must be submitted with the Penn Dental Medicine Supplemental Application in question/answer format prior to the June 1 application deadline. Do not send personal statements.
- Please refer to www.dental.upenn.edu for detailed information regarding admissions and application requirements.