The University of Illinois at Chicago College of Dentistry
Click here to print a PDF of the ADEA CAAPID profile for The University of Illinois at Chicago College of Dentistry.
Description of Program
The College of Dentistry (COD) offers a program of study for dentists who were trained outside the United States of America and Canada and who wish to practice dentistry within the United States. Upon the successful completion of the program the participant is awarded a Doctor of Dental Medicine (DMD) degree.
The COD has transformed the DDS degree program into a DMD degree program in order to graduate oral health professionals with strong competencies in health promotion and disease prevention, diagnosis, evidence-based practice, communication, collaboration, and community engagement.
Case-Based Curriculum The DMD features small group learning that is interdisciplinary in nature and prompted through the use of clinical case studies developed by a team of COD faculty. These case scenarios place all learning in the context of a patient problem/concern and emphasize the relationship between systemic and oral diseases, health and prevention, family and community context, disease diagnosis and evidence based practice.
Ms. Braulia Espinosa, MPA
Assistant Director of Admissions
The University of Illinois at Chicago
College of Dentistry
801 S. Paulina St, Rm. 104
Chicago, IL 60612
Length of Program: 24 months
Program Deadline: July 1, 2014
Start Date: May 2015
Class Size: up to 40
Degree Awarded: D.M.D.
Requirements to apply to program
English Language Proficiency
- Must be proficient in the English language
- Official scores from the Test of English as a Foreign Language (TOEFL) are required for admissions. The Minimum scores accepted are: Overall: 80 internet-based (IBT), Writing: 21, Speaking: 20, Listening: 17, and
- Must submit the electronic TOEFL score report directly to program (not to ADEA CAAPID). The University of Illinois-Chicago institution code with ETS TOEFL is 1851.
- Please note that TOEFL scores over two years old are invalid. There is no exception to this rule.
- Candidates who have earned a U.S. degree may be exempted from taking the TOEFL
National Board Dental Examination Requirements
- Program requires only passage of NBDE Part I to be considered for admission. Passage of NBDE Part II is highly recommended.
- Submit official NBDE Scores to program (not to ADEA CAAPID) after submitting application
Letter of Evaluation
- Only 2 letters of recommendation are required. Preferably, one should be from a U.S. dental practitioner. Please submit letters of recommendation to ADEA CAAPID only.
Transcripts and Evaluations
Applicant must submit to ADEA CAAPID a detailed evaluation by Educational Credential Evaluators (ECE).
- Course-by-course evaluation of official credentials from post-secondary schools (related to your dental education only)
- United States Residency Status: Provide a copy of one of the following:
- U.S. Birth Certificate, U.S. passport, U.S. Naturalization certificate – OR –
- Permanent Resident/Green Card (front and back) – OR –
- Passport page showing asylum status
- Name Change: If you have changed your name since your dental education or receiving your dental degree, provide a copy of any legal documents showing your name change. For example, in the case of marriage, provide a copy of your marriage certificate.
- Dental Education Transcripts: Certified or notarized copy of official University issued credentials (detailed marksheets) from all post-secondary schools you have attended (foreign and domestic). We will not accept documents issued by the dental college.
- English Translation of Dental Education Transcripts: Certified or notarized copy of English translation of official credentials from post-secondary schools (foreign and domestic) that are not in English.
- Dental Degree (Diploma): Certified or notarized copy of your dental degree and any other dental related certificate or diploma issued by the University.
- Translation of Dental Degree (Diploma): Certified or notarized copy of English translation of your dental degree and any other dental related certificate or diploma.