The University of Illinois at Chicago College of Dentistry
Click here to print a PDF of the ADEA CAAPID profile for The University of Illinois at Chicago College of Dentistry.
Description of Program
The College of Dentistry (COD)
offers a program of study for dentists who were trained outside the United
States of America and Canada who wish to practice dentistry within the United
States. Upon the successful completion of the program the participant is
awarded a Doctor of Dental Medicine (DMD) degree.
The DMD features small group learning that is interdisciplinary in
nature and prompted through the use of clinical case studies developed by a
team of COD faculty. These case scenarios place all learning in the context of
a patient problem/concern and emphasize the relationship between systemic and
oral diseases, health and prevention, family and community context, disease
diagnosis and evidence based practice.
Ms. Braulia Espinosa, MPA
Director of Admissions
The University of Illinois at Chicago
College of Dentistry
801 S. Paulina St, Rm. 104
Chicago, IL 60612
Length of Program: 28 months
Program Deadline: June 15, 2017
Start Date: January 2018
Class Size: up to 52
Degree Awarded: D.M.D.
Requirements to apply to program
English Language Proficiency
- Must be proficient in the English language
- Official scores from the Test of English as a Foreign Language (TOEFL) are required for admissions. The minimum scores accepted are: Overall: 80 internet-based (iBT), Writing: 21, Speaking: 20, Listening: 17, and
- Must submit the electronic TOEFL score report directly to program (not to ADEA CAAPID). The University of Illinois-Chicago institution code with ETS TOEFL is 1851 - graduate program.
- Please note that TOEFL scores over two years old at the time of application are invalid. There is no exception to this rule.
- Candidates who have earned a U.S. degree may be exempted from taking the TOEFL
National Board Dental Examination Requirements
- Program requires only passage of NBDE Part I to be considered for admission. Passage of NBDE Part II is highly recommended.
copy of the NBDE score report to program (not to ADEA CAAPID) after submitting
application. Candidates invited for an interview will have to provide an
official/unopened NBDE score report.
Advanced Dental Admission Test (ADAT)
- Completion of the ADAT will not be considered during application review for admission to the program.
Letter of Evaluation
- Only 2 letters of recommendation are required. Preferably, one should be from a U.S. dental practitioner. Letters of recommendation will only be accepted
via ADEA CAAPID.
Transcripts and Evaluations
Applicant must submit to ADEA CAAPID a detailed evaluation by Educational Credential Evaluators (ECE).
- Course-by-course evaluation of official credentials from post-secondary schools (related to your dental education only)
- UIC does not accept WES evaluations.
- Candidates are required to submit the University of Illinois at Chicago supplemental application and fee no later than June 15th; no extensions will be granted. As soon as a candidate submits the CAAPID
application, they can also go ahead and submit the UIC online application.
- The University of Illinois at Chicago supplemental application can be located on the following website: https://bannerweb.apps.uillinois.edu/BANPROD2/bwskalog.P_DispLoginNon?web_page_id_in=2PR
Students will upload the following PDF documents as part of the UIC online application:
- United States Residency Status: Upload a copy of one of the following:
- U.S. Birth Certificate, U.S. passport, U.S. Naturalization certificate – OR –
- Permanent Resident/Green Card (front and back) – OR –
- Passport page showing asylum status
- Applications will only be accepted from students holding the following status': U.S. citizen, U.S. permanent resident, and U.S. asylum.
- Dental Education Transcripts: Upload
a copy of official University issued credentials (detailed marksheets) from all
post-secondary schools you have attended (foreign and domestic). We will not accept
documents issued by the Dental College.
- English Translation of Dental Education Transcripts: Upload
a copy of English translation of official credentials from post-secondary
schools (foreign and domestic) that are not in English.
- Dental Degree (Diploma): Upload
a copy of your dental degree and any other dental related certificate or
diploma issued by the University.
- Translation of Dental Degree (Diploma): Upload a copy
of English translation of your dental degree and any other dental related
certificate or diploma.