University of California, San Francisco School of Dentistry
Download a PDF of the ADEA CAAPID profile for the University of California, San Francisco School of Dentistry.
Description of Program
The UCSF International Dentist Program (IDP) is a two-year (8-quarter) program administered by the UCSF School of Dentistry. The program may extend beyond two years depending on the student’s ability to meet all graduation requirements.
The program admits 28 foreign-trained dentists yearly. The program begins in June of each year and culminates in a Doctor of Dental Science (DDS) degree. These students will matriculate into the existing third year didactic curriculum.
University of California, San Francisco
School of Dentistry
International Dentist Program
San Francisco, CA 94143-0636
Length of Program: 24 months
Application available starting: March 17th, 2014
Deadline for accepting Application: July 11, 2014
Program Start Date: June 15, 2015
Class Size: 28
Degree Awarded: D.D.S.
Requirements to apply to program
English Language Proficiency
- Must be proficient in the English language
- All applicants must take the TOEFL to be considered for admission
- Submit official TOEFL Score Report to program (not to ADEA CAAPID) - Code #6143
- Applicants whose native language is not English are required to take the TOEFL
- Minimum TOEFL Scores are as follows, and must have been taken within 2 years of the application deadline:
- 95 or higher on the internet based test (iBT), or
- 240 or higher on the computer test, or
- 587 or higher on the paper test
National Board Dental Examination Requirements
- Applicants must pass Part I of NBDE
- Submit official NBDE Part 1 Report to program (not to ADEA CAAPID)
- Part II of the NBDE is not required for admission.
Letter of Evaluation
- Requires (3) letters of recommendation (dean, faculty & candidate choice)
- A maximum of 5 letters will be considered.
- Letters must come stamped and sealed from individuals providing the recommendation.
Transcripts and Evaluations
- Applicants must submit original dental school, non-dental school and all postgraduate program transcripts directly to program
- Transcripts must come stamped and sealed from all conferring institutions. Notarized copies are not acceptable. Please refer to our website for translation of documents.
- Submit original official ECE course-by-course evaluation. Dental School transcript must have a GPA of 2.00 (comprehensive) or higher in order to be considered for admission. To ensure uniformity of evaluation, the ECE is the only credential evaluation report accepted.
Other documents that should be sent to UCSF (not to ADEA CAAPID)
- Before final admission, provisionally admitted applicants who need a visa must complete a Confidential Financial Statement. The certification is necessary for UCSF to provide a Certificate of Eligibility (I-20A/B) which allows the applicant to apply for a student visa. The I-20 A/B is only given to applicants granted final acceptance to the IDP.