Summer Medical and Dental Education Program
Summer Medical and Dental Education Program (SMDEP) is a free, six-week summer academic enrichment program for freshman and sophomore college students interested in careers in dentistry and medicine.
Mathematica Policy Research report published in 2015 found that SMDEP dental scholars are roughly three times as likely to apply to dental school as their peers in a comparison group, and are nearly twice as likely to be accepted.
Students who participate in SMDEP gain the skills and experience needed for success in dentistry and medicine by:
- Deepening their understanding of the basic sciences and quantitative topics.
- Developing study skills and practicing methods of individual and group learning.
- Participating in small-group clinical rotations and full-group clinician seminars.
- Exploring medical and dental careers, and other health professions.
- Attending financial planning workshops and health policy seminars.
SMDEP is a collaboration between ADEA and the
Association of American Medical Colleges, and is funded by the
Robert Wood Johnson Foundation.
In 2014, SMDEP celebrated 25 years of giving young adults the opportunity to chase their dreams of making a difference.
Follow SMDEP: #smdep