Summer Medical and Dental Education Program
Summer Medical and Dental Education Program (SMDEP) is a free, six-week summer academic enrichment program for freshman and sophomore college students interested in careers in dentistry and medicine.
Mathematica Policy Research report published in 2015 found that SMDEP dental scholars are roughly three times as likely to apply to dental school as their peers in a comparison group, and are nearly twice as likely to be accepted.
SMDEP offers students a variety of academic and career experiences that will support their dental and medical school career preparation:
- Academic enrichment in the basic sciences and quantitative topics.
- Learning-skills development, including study skills and methods of individual and group learning.
- Clinical exposure through small-group clinical rotations and full-group clinician seminars (limited to 5% of program time for all the sites).
- Career development, including the exploration of the medical and dental careers, other health professions and an individualized education plan to identify other appropriate enrichment activities.
- Financial planning workshop and health policy seminars.
SMDEP is a collaboration between ADEA and the Association of American Medical Colleges, and is funded by the Robert Wood Johnson Foundation.
In 2014, SMDEP celebrated 25 years of giving young adults the opportunity to chase their dreams of making a difference.