ADEA Leadership Institute Phase V Leadership Development Tuition Scholarship
ADEA Summer Program for Emerging Academic Leaders
July 2018 | ADEA Headquarters, Washington, DC
The American Dental Education Association (ADEA) announces the ADEA Leadership Institute Phase V Leadership Development Tuition Scholarship: ADEA Summer Program for Emerging Academic Leaders. This scholarship has been created to enable an early career faculty member (up to three years of experience) to participate
in the ADEA Summer Program for Emerging Academic Leaders. The faculty member must be nominated by an alumnus or alumna or the ADEA Leadership Institute.
The ADEA Summer Program for Emerging Academic Leaders is a three-and-a-half-day program that covers topics such as leadership styles, team building and time management, which are essential to planning and implementing a successful academic career. This highly interactive program has been designed specifically
to give faculty guidance, insight and skills to propel their careers, and is suited for early career faculty members, whether they recently joined their institutions after a residency or after time spent in private practice. The programming includes onsite sessions led by preeminent experts in dental
education, readings, assignments and team-building exercises. Additionally, each participant is assigned to a peer group tasked with helping its members implement the topics discussed and learn to manage the pressures of being a new faculty member. These peer groups are facilitated by leaders in dental
education, who themselves are graduates of the ADEA Summer Program for Emerging Academic Leaders or the ADEA Leadership Institute.
One $1,695 tuition scholarship will be awarded in 2018. The scholarship recipient, or his or her institution, will be responsible for lodging and transportation expenses associated with participating in the program, held at a location to be determined in New England.
An applicant must:
- Agree to the terms of scholarship, which includes participating in the program’s entirety. Additionally, the applicant may be asked to participate in a video testimonial of the scholarship’s impact on his or her professional development. Portions of
the report and video may be used for ADEA promotional purposes.
- Be nominated by an alumnus/alumna of the ADEA Leadership Institute.
- Be a full- or part-time educator or administrator at an ADEA Member Institution.
- Be an ADEA Individual Member.
The following items must be submitted by November 1, 2017, using the ADEA online application process:
- A completed ADEA Leadership Development Tuition Scholarship application form, including a personal statement describing the applicant’s strengths and weaknesses as a faculty member and a summary describing any previous professional development he
or she has experienced.
- A current curriculum vitae.
- One letter of nomination from an alumnus/alumna of the ADEA Leadership Institute, stating why the applicant should be considered for the tuition scholarship.
Receipt of entries cannot be acknowledged. Incomplete applications or late submissions will not be considered.
Scholarship recipients and applicants not receiving awards will be notified by February 1, 2018.
Contact Mr. Eric Lund, ADEA Professional Development Manager, at 202-289-7201 or
Dr. Tobie Jones, Oregon Health & Science University School of Dentistry