Academic History


You will be asked to submit information about your education, including: 

  • Secondary (high) school: The name of your high school, its location and your graduation date.
  • Postsecondary school: The name and location of the college(s) you attended, your dates of attendance and graduation and the type of degree you earned or are in the process of earning. You will need to submit all official U.S. and Canadian transcripts.

Other information about this part of the ADEA AADSAS application is given in more detail below.

You are required to report all the postsecondary institutions you have attended, including but not limited to: courses taken in high school, summer courses, community college courses, military institutions, postbaccalaureate, graduate and doctoral work, study abroad and foreign work. Applications that are submitted with institutions omitted will be returned for corrections, and the application will be delayed.

Enter each institution only once, regardless of the number of degrees earned or gaps in the dates of attendance. (If you are using a re-applicant account, you may have to list an institution more than once to update completed coursework from the previous cycle.)

If you indicate that you attended a dental school and received actual credits from that institution, you must enter the school in the College Attended section and submit an official transcript to ADEA AADSAS.

Select which institution is the primary undergraduate or graduate institution you attended. Use the below criteria to identify the primary undergraduate or primary graduate college:

  • Primary undergraduate college: The college or university where the applicant will or has earned the first bachelor’s degree.
  • Primary graduate college: The college or university where the applicant will or has earned the first master’s or doctoral degree.
  • For “other” category: If an applicant will earn multiple degrees at the same level, select the most recent degree.

The primary college will be highlighted on the Holistic Coversheet.

Once a college is entered, enter your in-progress or most recent degree, including the degree type, the date earned or expected graduation and your major and minor. Additional degrees may be added by selecting “Add another degree.” 

Please use the checklist below to determine how best to report study abroad and/or overseas college coursework (and transcripts):

  1. If coursework was completed at a U.S. institution overseas (e.g., American University Beirut or Carnegie Mellon University in Qatar), report the institution and proceed to enter all related information, including coursework. Mark the courses as study abroad.
  2. If coursework was completed using another school’s program to study abroad (e.g., Semester at Sea, SIT or a CEA study abroad program), report the U.S. school whose program was used and proceed to enter all related information, including coursework. Mark the courses as study abroad.
  3. If coursework was completed via a study abroad company, please list this course under the primary school with the classification Study Abroad. Check to see whether the grades and credits are itemized on the home school transcript. If so, there is no need to send additional documentation. If not, please send the company transcript to ADEA AADSAS with the Transcript Request Form from the home school. Do not report the foreign school separately.
  4. If coursework was completed directly via the undergraduate institution, or by any other method and the credits and/or grades do NOT appear on the undergraduate transcript, report attendance as a foreign institution.
  1. Obtain a copy of each college-level transcript. (It is recommended that applicants acquire a new copy of their transcripts to ensure the coursework entered matches the official transcript.)

  2. Complete the Colleges Attended section.

  3. Decide whether or not to take advantage of the Professional Transcript Entry service. Entering coursework into the ADEA AADSAS application can be done by the applicant or Liaison International, ADEA’s technology partner. By selecting Professional Transcript Entry, you rely on Liaison International to enter and verify all your coursework. This process will begin as soon as all official transcripts are received and can take up to 15 business days to complete. The application will then be placed into a verification queue, which can take an additional four weeks. The cost of the service is $65 for up to two transcripts or $90 for three or more transcripts. 

    If you choose to enter in your own coursework, you should allot at least half a day to enter and review coursework to prevent errors. Errors will delay verification of the application.

Coursework information allows dental schools to more comprehensively evaluate applicants with quarter and semester grades, transcript grading systems using and not using a plus/minus system, and overall GPAs for applicants with transcripts from multiple institutions.

For each institution listed, you must include coursework by session and term type.

  • Session: Period of time taking a course (e.g., fall semester 2012).
  • Term type: Individual class taken in a particular session (e.g., Biology 150).

Coursework classifications include:

  • Undergraduate: Courses taken prior to earning first bachelor’s degree.
  • Postbaccalaureate: Undergraduate level courses taken after first bachelor degree is earned.
  • Graduate: Master’s degree-level work.
  • Professional: Coursework classified as certificate-level work or coursework taken in pursuit of a degree higher than a master’s degree.

Indicate if the course has any special classifications designations. Select "not applicable" if the course does not have a special classification. Special classifications include:

  • Repeated Course: Any course attempted more than once. Do not indicate it for the first attempt. If the course could be categorized under two classifications, “Repeat” should be selected.
  • Incomplete: Any course for which the applicant did not receive a final grade or pass/fail status.
  • Distance Learning/Online Course.
  • Honors.
  • Study Abroad.
  • Advanced Placement/College Level Examination Program (CLEP).
  • International Baccalaureate.
  • Credit by Institutional/Departmental Exam.
  • In progress and planned.

ADEA AADSAS requires applicants to include all recorded attempts at a course, even if an institution has a forgiveness policy. When indicating the special classifications for courses (see list above), list most recent attempts as a repeated course.

Some college transcripts report numeric grades rather than alpha (letter) grades. To access the conversion scale, refer to the key provided by the institution either on the front or back of the transcript. If the transcript does not provide a conversion scale, use the conversion scales below.  

ADEA AADSAS Grade and Value
Quality Points Assigned
Grade on Transcript
(No alpha grade key on transcript) 
A+ (4.33)>4.0 >100 
A (4.0) 4.00–3.80 100–90 
A– (3.667) 3.79–3.60  
AB (3.5)3.59–3.40  
B+ (3.333) 3.39–3.10  
B (3.0)3.09–2.80 89–80 
B– (2.667)2.79–2.60 
BC (2.333) 2.59–2.40 
C+ (2.333) 2.39–2.10  
C (2.0)2.09–1.80 79–70
C– (1.667)1.79–1.60  
CD (1.5)1.59–1.40 
D+ (1.333)1.39–1.10 
D (1.0)1.09–0.8069–60 
D (1.0)0.79–0.60  
DE (0.5)0.59–0.40  
F (0.0)Less than or equal to 0.39 <60
Select NONE Non–graded courses
(e.g. PASS/FAIL, Satisfactory)


Course subjects
Applicants should use their best judgement to classify courses as English/Literature, Biology, Chemistry, Physics, Other Science (sciences other than biology, chemistry and physics) or Nonscience. Review the Subject Course fact sheetPDF for guidance.

Tip: A nonscience class with an intense focus on a science field would be classified as Nonscience.

Foreign coursework
All U.S. and Canadian coursework must be listed. Foreign coursework can be listed, although it is not required; Transcripts from foreign schools must still be evaluated and sent to ADEA AADSAS.

Transfer coursework
Transfer coursework should only be listed under the original institution where the course was taken and, in some cases, the specific campus where it was taken.

Non-traditional coursework
Military coursework is only accepted if an applicant is officially enrolled in a college/university.

For more information, contact ADEA AADSAS Customer Service.

Within four to six weeks after you submit your application and all transcripts, ADEA AADSAS will calculate standardized GPAs to help participating dental schools evaluate applicants using uniform and consistent criteria, regardless of various institutional transcript policies.

To calculate a GPA, ADEA AADSAS calculates total quality points by multiplying semester hours attempted by the value of the verified ADEA AADSAS grade. Quality points are divided by the total number of hours for completed courses. ADEA AADSAS reports GPAs in semester–based 4.0 grading scales.

ADEA AADSAS calculates GPA and reports it in a number of ways:

  • BCP GPA: All undergraduate, graduate and cumulative courses identified on transcripts as biology, chemistry or physics.
  • Science GPA: All undergraduate, graduate and cumulative courses identified on the transcript as biology, chemistry, physics or other science.
  • Nonscience GPA: All undergraduate, graduate and cumulative courses not used in calculating the science GPA.
  • Undergraduate GPA: All courses for which undergraduate credit is received.
  • Graduate GPA: All courses for which graduate credit is received.
  • Overall GPA: Includes undergraduate and graduate courses. For most dental school applicants who have not completed graduate courses, the overall GPA is the same as the undergraduate GPA.
  • College/university GPAs: GPAs are reported for each college/university attended.

The following course types are not included in ADEA AADSAS GPA calculations:

  • Advanced Placement/CLEP.
  • Institutional Department Exam.
  • Audit.
  • International Baccalaureate.
  • Incomplete.
  • Pass/fail.
  • Withdraw/withdraw passing.
  • Grades of “P” or “Credit.”

ADEA AADSAS includes all initial and repeated coursework in its GPA calculations.

Grades and credit hours for all failed courses will be included in the ADEA AADSAS GPA, even if they are not included in the GPA calculations of the transcript-issuing institution.

ADEA AADSAS calculates GPAs in two different ways: with plus (+) and minus (-), and without them. Some dental schools prefer to use the plus/minus system, and others prefer to use grades without plus and minus. Therefore, for example, grades with a plus will round down to the next letter grade (e.g., B+ [3.333] will round down to a B [3.000]) and grades with a minus will round up to the next letter grade (e.g., B- [2.667] will round up to a B [3.000]).

Factors that may result in a GPA calculation that is different from the transcript include the following:

  1. Many colleges/universities count only the new grade in repeated course(s) in GPA computation. ADEA AADSAS counts the previously earned grade and the new grade. For example, if you took Introduction to Biology in fall 2012 and earned a grade of C, then retook the same course in spring 2013 and earned an A, ADEA AADSAS would use both the C grade and the A grade to calculate the GPA.
  2. Some schools use different scales than those used by ADEA AADSAS. For example, at some schools, a B+ grade equals a grade weight of 3.5, but for ADEA AADSAS, a B+ grade equals a grade weight of 3.33.

You will be asked to provide the date(s) of all taken or planned Dental Admission Test (DAT) administrations as well, as your DENTPIN.

If you have taken the U.S. DAT, you can provide scores in two ways: by manually entering score information in the application, or by sending official score reports from the American Dental Association. If you have taken the Canadian DAT, you can manually enter in the score information in the application.

  1. Self-reported U.S. DAT scores.
    You will be asked if you have already taken the test. If you have, you are required to report the date; all scores are optional. You should use your unofficial score report. (Upon completion of the test, an unofficial score report at the Prometric Test Center will be made available to you. Scale scores are reported in the unofficial score report.)

  2. Official U.S. DAT scores.
    When registering for the U.S. DAT, you can select any number of schools to receive the DAT score at no additional cost. You are strongly encouraged to select all dental schools you plan on applying to, as dental schools can access official scores through an online portal outside of ADEA AADSAS. The test fee remains the same regardless of how many schools are selected at this time. There is an additional fee if schools are added at a later time.

    If any U.S. dental school is selected, the official score will be sent electronically to ADEA AADSAS three to four weeks after the test date and be matched to the application based on your birthdate and DENTPIN. Because ADEA AADSAS is a centralized application, the official score will be shared with all dental schools you apply to, even if you did not select the school at the test administration site. 

    1. Self-reported Canadian DAT.
      You will be asked if you have already taken the test. If you have, you are required to report the date; all scores are optional. You should use your unofficial score report. ADEA AADSAS does not process official Canadian DAT score reports.  

  3. Other tests.
    ADEA AADSAS does not collect other official or unofficial test scores. 

When should I send my transcript?
Aside from creating an account on ADEA AADSAS, this should be the first item on every applicant’s checklist. Due to mailing and processing times, transcript verification can take up to six weeks. Start the process early. Because applicants are encouraged to apply early, it is best to request the transcript in early June.

What are the top three things I should do to ensure I successfully match my transcripts to my ADEA AADSAS application?
One: List the institution in the Colleges Attended section. Two: Make sure your ADEA AADSAS identification number is included on or with each transcript. Three: Send in ALL transcripts EARLY.

Can I send an unofficial copy of my transcript?
No. Don’t send an unofficial copy or a copy that is marked “student-issued.”

Can I submit my application before my transcripts are received by ADEA AADSAS?
Yes. Once you have successfully filled out your application, you can submit it to ADEA AADSAS at any time. However, your application will not be processed until ADEA AADSAS has received all of your official transcripts and your payment.

Can I print one transcript-matching form and send it to all the colleges I attended?
No. Each institution you have attended has a unique transcript-matching form which you are to use specifically for that institution. When mailing the transcript-matching forms, pay attention to the name of the institution printed on each form. Transcripts sent without the appropriate transcript request form may result in delay of your application.

If I have attended multiple colleges and transfer credit is listed on the transcript of my primary institution, do I still need to send a transcript from each school?
Yes. You are required to send ONE transcript from each college you have attended regardless of the number of courses taken.

Should I send my high school transcript?
No. To report university-level credit earned while a high school student, these courses must be reported under the college or university that awarded you the credit. This includes both Advanced Placement and dual-enrollment credit.

Do I need to send transcripts for planned or in-progress coursework?
No. You are only required to send transcripts covering all of your completed coursework. ADEA AADSAS does not require transcripts for coursework labeled as “planned/in-progress” until after all grades have been completed. Please note that when you do complete these courses, updated transcripts can be submitted directly to the schools to which you are applying, or you can use the Academic Update period to update this information in your ADEA AADSAS application.

Do I also need to send copies of my transcripts to the dental schools I am applying to?
In general, you only need to submit transcripts to ADEA AADSAS. Some dental schools, if you reach a certain point in the admissions process, may request additional transcripts at a later date while others will not. You should contact the schools directly to determine if they require any additional transcripts.

I have a different name on my transcript than on my application. Will that cause a problem?
This can delay the processing of your transcript, but there are steps you should take to minimize any difficulties. FIRST, fill out the Biographic Information section to include other aliases. SECOND, ask your registrar’s office to physically write your current name and ADEA AADSAS identification number on your transcript. FINALLY, include the transcript request form with your transcript. If you have done step one, your former name will print out on this form.

My school won’t issue a transcript to ADEA AADSAS and must use my name. What do I do?
ADEA AADSAS can accept transcripts issued to an applicant’s name and address as long as they are accompanied by a letter from the school’s registrar’s office stating their policy for addressing transcripts and confirming that the transcript was mailed by the registrar to ADEA AADSAS directly. The transcript still cannot have an “Issued to Student” or “Student Copy” stamp and may not be picked up by the student. Transcripts without this letter will not be accepted.

Can my designated programs view the transcripts I send to ADEA AADSAS?
Yes. The transcripts that you are required to send to ADEA AADSAS are visible electronically to your designated program(s). Please note that upon a program’s request, you may still be asked to send an official transcript directly to the school.

Can ADEA AADSAS forward my transcripts to me, my schools or schools not affiliated with ADEA AADSAS?
No. As per the Family Educational Rights and Privacy Act of 1974 (FERPA), ADEA AADSAS may not release transcripts to anyone other than your designated schools, including other schools or the applicant themselves.

My college/university can send my transcript electronically. Will ADEA AADSAS accept it?
Beginning in the 2017 cycle, ADEA AADSAS will accept transcripts sent electronically from Credentials Solutions. Look for your school in the list of participating institutions.  If your school participates, you can order your transcripts online.

Utilizing this service will not expedite the processing of transcripts. Once you have requested your transcript from Credentials Solutions, it will be posted to your application within 7-10 business days. If you do not see your transcript posted to your application within the allotted 10 business days after it was requested, please contact Credentials Solutions directly to confirm that the order was completed.

Please note: ADEA AADSAS will not accept any other form of electronic transcripts other than those sent from Credentials Solutions. If your school is not listed on the credentials solutions website, you are required to have your official transcript mailed to ADEA AADSAS. 

How do I list a lab?
If the transcript lists labs separately, then they must be listed separately on the application as well. Record the lab as it appears on the transcript, with the title, prefix/number, number of credits and grade given. If the transcript combines lab/lecture courses into one class on a transcript, they should be reported as one entry on the application.

How do I enter in planned or in-progress terms and courses?

  1. List the school in the “Colleges Attended” section of the application. Make sure that the attendance dates entered for this school include the time period for in-progress or planned courses. For example, if the applicant is entering a planned spring 2017 term, the end date should include spring 2017.
  2. In the coursework section, add the planned or in-progress term and year.
  3. Add additional planned/in-progress terms if necessary.
  4.  Update in-progress and planned coursework grades during the Academic Update. Information can be added to the application as soon as it is verified.

How do I edit a course or term I have already entered?
As long as you have not yet submitted your application, you can edit courses or terms by clicking the “edit” icon to the right of each entry. You can delete courses or terms by clicking the trash icon. You cannot delete term information when classes are listed underneath the term. The classes must be removed to remove term information.

My school uses a narrative transcript. What do I do?
To enter this school into your coursework section, you should list all of your courses as you would for a regular institution. If your transcript provides suggested credits and/or grades, enter those as well. Otherwise, list the credits as “0.0” and the grades as “Pass.” Although these will not factor into your GPA, your schools will see the list of classes you took and a copy of the official narrative transcript from your school, which you will submit to ADEA AADSAS, can be viewed by dental schools.

I don’t know the specific course information for my planned coursework, such as the course prefix and number. What do I do?
Enter the course information to the best of your ability. Planned/in-progress courses can be edited in the future once you have more information.

Can I update my coursework after I submit my application?
No. Once you have submitted your application to ADEA AADSAS, no changes to coursework can be made. If you submit your ADEA AADSAS application before your updated grades are available, you may update your coursework during the Academic Update period. An email will be sent to applicants when Academic Update opens.

Can you tell me how my coursework looks on my transcripts or send a copy/fax of my transcripts to me?
No. As per the Family Educational Rights and Privacy Act of 1974, once a transcript arrives at ADEA AADSAS, it becomes illegal for us to release that information to any third party, including the individuals who originally sent it. All applicants must obtain their own copy of their official transcripts in order to properly fill out their application.

How do I indicate that a course is honors, AP or another special designation?
Use the special classification selection to indicate the course is honors, AP or another selected classification.

How do I check if my official DAT scores were received?
On the right-hand status menu in the application, there is a tab to look for official DAT scores.

I took the test more than once. How many scores are reported to ADEA AADSAS?
The most recent four test administrations are reported. Dental schools have different policies on how they review applications with more than one DAT score; applicants are encouraged to contact the individual dental schools for more information on how multiple DAT scores are handled.

I applied to ADEA AADSAS last year and sent in my DAT scores then. I haven’t retaken the test; do I need to resend my DAT scores?
Not if you are reapplying to the same schools. If you are applying to new schools, yes.

The ADEA AADSAS application opens in early June, but I took the test before June. Can I send in my scores early? How early?
Yes, you can send in the score up to two years before you create an application. If your score was sent more than two years ago, it should be resent.

I think my GPA was calculated incorrectly. How can I get ADEA AADSAS to review my GPA calculations?
After reviewing the ADEA AADSAS policies and grade calculation worksheets, submit a request by email to with details of what you think should be reviewed.

When will my GPAs be available?
After all application materials are processed and transcripts have been verified (this can take approximately four weeks), ADEA AADSAS calculates the GPAs.

Where will I be able to view my GPAs?
Once coursework is verified, please log in to your account and look at the right-hand status menu for GPA calculations, among other statuses.

Do repeated courses factor into my GPA?
All attempts of a course are factored into the ADEA AADSAS GPA. Credits and grades for all attempts at repeated courses should be entered. Please note that withdrawn courses are not considered repeats.